1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: ACER PC with Vista Won't boot up

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by SeekingSanity, Jan 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SeekingSanity

SeekingSanity Thread Starter

Hi everybody,

I've been having this problem for the last 2 months or so ... more often recently. Quite simply, I can't get my O/S to boot (Vista! Grr). My laptop prepares to boot to the O/S but then I get that black screen. After countless attempts (or a couple hours time) BIOS works and it fires up but within 20-30 minutes, it just shuts down on it's own. On 11/26 I did a sys restore which helped for a half a day, then the same issues again. Today I believe I followed all the recommended advice from Windows: I used the disk clean up, lowered resolution, changed appearance to Win Vista Basic, etc. Windows Defender says my computer is running "normally." A sys health report says 75% of my RAM is being utilized but I can't see any programs to uninstall (beyond what the disk clean up took out). I just can't get this thing to stay running (last time I was on it, I was in the iTunes Store, if that helps any). I am desperate for any help anyone can offer ... I'm pulling my hair out with what to do next (I'm not a technical lughead but I don't know this stuff as well as some of you folks do). PLEASE HELP!!
    p.s. I got it on now running in safe mode with network options

2. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

have you tried running in safe mode
    Tap F8 as it boots
    choose safe mode

see if that stays up

3. kenny111111

kenny111111

do you have the recovery discs? If yes put it in and reboot should be a startup repair option.

If no: then you could back up your data and return to factory settings.
    reboot, hold the alt key down and start tapping the f10 key until you get the option to "return to factory settings"

good luck

PS: the 2nd option should be as a last resort as you will lose all data and installed programs.

*edit* sorry etaf I was typing while you replied. ( hes in safe mode)

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Uninstalling programs will not free up RAM. 75% is a good amount and nothing needs to be changed. Ideally, you want as much RAM to be in use as possible and to approach 100%.

Check for dust and clogged vents. Overheating can make the machine shut down or have problems after a period of running.

5. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

6. SeekingSanity

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for all your suggestions! As you can imagine, the computer crashed yet again so only now could I get replies to any you.

ETAF: once the computer crashes, I can't get past BIOS to even attempt safe mode (at least thus far). But I will try the clean boot option.
    I don't have any recovery discs ... bought this one brand new but Vista was already installed on it.

I hope I'm not making anything worse with what seems like my 1,000 attempts to re-boot all the time.
    Elvandil - THANK YOU for explaining the RAM situation (it's nice you took the time to let me know that!)
    The dust idea makes sense, thank you! :) I have my computer on stand where it rests on a "zig zag" plastic base. It's not supposed to block ventilation but maybe it is. I wonder why I haven't had problems for the first year though. I'll try cleaning it out.
    Hope you guys will be around - you gave me lots of good ideas. I'll report back with results until this thin works out (hopefully soon).
    THANK YOU ALL !!!

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Open it up. Use plastic vacuum utensils and carefully remove dust from cooling fins and elsewhere. Make sure vent holes in the power supply and elsewhere are clear.

8. SeekingSanity

Hey guys,
    I want to THANK all of you for all the advice. I cleaned out the system, Elvandil, and my computer hasn't shut down once since then. Very happy! What a simple and logical solution ... THANKS VERY MUCH ONCE AGAIN!!! :D

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

Not unusual at all. A friend told me that his computer was dead. He was convinced that was the end. I found the PSU vent clogged with dust. Vacuum and it booted right up. Even in the cleanest homes, hours of air circulation can leave its traces behind, and over years, lead to shutdowns.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/890776