1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: ACER tablet cannot reconnect to Net (Wi-Fi) after system restored to default

Discussion in 'Networking' started by wgreene, May 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

I have been using my ACER tablet with my Netgear router for several months with no problems at all. Then last night I decided to restore my tablet to its default settings, meaning that all my programs, apps, files, etc., were erased. Then I rebooted my tablet and started from scratch, entering the requested information. Everything appeared to be going just fine until I turned on Wi-Fi and attempted to connect to my network (Secured with WPA2), which was available and showed Good signal strength. I clicked on it, then attempted to enter my password. As soon as I entered the first digit of my password, the option to Connect to the Internet immediately disappeared, becoming greyed-out. Repeated attempts to connect failed for the same reason.

I called ACER Level 2 Support and tried a couple of procedures which didn't solve the problem. One was pushing the Reset Button twice. The technician told me that I may have a problem with my router settings. He suggested that I go to a local fast food outlet and see if I could connect there. I went to McDonald's and was able to get on the Net without using a password. I returned home and tried again to connect, but still was unable to enter my password.

At that point I called Netgear, figuring for sure they could solve the problem for me. Well, after a lengthy discussion the technician told me that, by the way, my 90-warranty had already expired. Of course, he assured me he could get rid of my problem, but for a price: $79.95 for six months, or $129.95 for a year! I was flabbergasted! The problem I have appears to be very minor. I can still get on the Net with my laptop, so there's nothing wrong with my router. And I was able to connect to the Net at McDonald's, so there's nothing wrong with my tablet. I merely need to figure out how to get my password entered and accepted. And I don't feel I should pay $80 for an extended router warranty in order for that to happen.

Would it make sense for me to completely disconnect my router from everything, then reconnect and go through that set-up process all over again? I guess I would have to change my User Name & Password, or whatever is required. Also, if I go this route, should I change my security setting from WPA2 to a different option -- WEP, for example? I just don't want to foul things up to the point where my laptop wouldn't work. I doubt that would happen.

One final note. I recently received the Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade which has been working satisfactorily; however, it does mean that I'm now attempting to start over from scratch with a different operating system. Even so, I don't believe that should have any bearing on my problem.

I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone who might be able to solve this annoying problem. Thank you.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The first thing to try may sound "stupid" but it often works and costs nothing but a few minutes of your time. Disable encryption on the router (preferably with an ethernet connection) and try to connect the tablet. If successful you can probably re-enable encryption and reconnect.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Guess it's called Security in your router.

4. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

I went in and changed my security setting from WPA2-PSK [AES] to WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES], and now I'm back online with my tablet.

Out of curiosity, I then switched back to my original security setting and tried once again to connect, whereupon I immediately got the Authentication Problem error message. This time, however, I wasn't even given the option to enter a password. All those times before when I tried -- and failed -- to get on, at least I was given that option. And while it never worked then, at least it was available -- although the option to connect would disappear as soon as I entered the first digit of the password. Even so, I would continue and enter the entire password thinking that the option to connect might reappear, but it never did.

At any rate, I changed back to the new setting, so now I'm online once again – athough I'm wondering if my original security setting would be preferable to the one I have now. I received the following warning from NETGEAR:

IMPORTANT
    WPA-PSK [TKIP] may only operate at "Up to 54Mbps" rate, not N rate.

NETGEAR recommends that you use WPA2-PSK [AES] to get full N rate support

Should I leave well enough alone and remain where I am, or should I try again to revert to WPA2-PSK [AES]?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    With 54 Mbps wireless you get up to mid-twenties (say, 25 Mbps) actual data throughput. That is plenty unless your internet service is greater or unless you are copying files to/from another device on your LAN. And, of course, getting 'N' speeds also depends on having an 802.11n wireless adapter.

When switching from one encryption (security setting) on your router to another and you don't get prompted for a key when trying to connect either delete the wireless profile (I have no idea how to do so with Android) or else change the encryption to none, connect, and then change the encryption to what you actually want and reconnect.

6. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

Thanks you for the help you've provided. At least I now understand my situation much better. I'll probably stay with the new security setting, at least for the time being.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1053559

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice