Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Acessing shared files from netbook: access is denied

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
I've just got a new netbook and have connected it to my home network. Internet connection is working fine, but I also want to access shared files on my main PC.

I've run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers. Both have the same workgroup name and both have file and printer sharing enabled. There are no third-party firewalls running on either machine, but both have Windows Firewall enabled. Both are running AVG free edition.

The netbook is running Windows XP Home Edition SP3
The main PC is running Windows XP Pro SP2

I can access the shared files on my netbook, using my main PC.

Here's the problem. When I go to View Workgroup Computers on the netbook, I can see the main PC in my workgroup. However, when I double click to open this, I get an 'access is denied' message which advises me to contact the server's admin about access permissions.

Can anyone tell me which setting I need to change to enable access? Any help would be much appreciated - please let me know if there's any important info I've left out in this description.

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
After doing some more digging, I found some info that's helped me fix this. For anyone having a similar problem, this is what I used;

On each machine, do this.

Create a file in notepad named FIXANON.REG with the following contents:

You should have 3 boxes on the bottom in NOTEPAD.
1)Filename : FIXANON.REG
2)Save as type: all files
3)Encoding: ANSI
If you do not change it from txt type to All files type, then the file will actually be FIXANON.REG.txt, this won't accomplish the desired result.

------------------- Use text after this line -------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
"restrictanonymous"=dword:00000000
------------------- Use text before this line -----------------

Double click on the file and say Yes to the merge into registry question.

Reboot the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.