1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: acquiring network address fails after resetting static IP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kkolge, Mar 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kkolge

kkolge Thread Starter

Hi,

I am running my laptop for over a year without connection problems.

I had to configure my friends router on a different subnet and so I setup a static IP address on the Ethernet card. I did the same on the wireless card too and everything worked on the new network

Once back to work, I had to set Ethernet and wireless network cards to automatically obtain IP address and DNS server settings.

After resetting, now I am not at all able to connect to any network unless I set the network (Ethernet/wireless) to static IP.

It is a big problem as I keep traveling and it is pretty odd to ask for the IP address at every guest port.

Please help urgently.

Configuration
    Hardware: Dell Inspiron 1525
    Wireless card: Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-Card
    Ethernet card: Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller

Services:
    Wireless Zero: Automatic
    DNS Client: Automatic
    DHCP Client: Automatic
    TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper: Automatic

Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP enables under WINS settings.

-Regards
    Ketan

2. jazz3000

jazz3000

3. kkolge

kkolge Thread Starter

Hello Jazz,

thank you for your help. I had tried most of the things on the page before and it did not help this time either.

-Regards
    Ketan

4. jazz3000

jazz3000

Well we'll keep going until we find the answer. Someone in here knows what it is. You might ask the Moderator to repost your question under the Internet and Networking category - it may be, there is someone in the forum there that has the information and expertise your needing. Jazz

5. markomus

markomus

Did your laptop come with a network configuration utility besides Wireless Zero? If so, you might try first reinstalling your card's drivers and then using that config. utility. If you're only using Wireless Zero, then you might simply try reinstalling the drivers.

Let us know if this helps! :)

6. kkolge

kkolge Thread Starter

Thank you Jazz and Markomus.

I went thru following steps -

ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /flushdns
    ipconfig /setclassid
    ipconfig /registerdns
    ipconfig /renew

then
    netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
    netsh winsock reset catalog

then
    Go to connection properties -> TCP/IP -> Properties -> Advance -> Options TCP/IP Filtering -> properties.

The "Enable TCP/IP filtering (All Adapters)" was checked and "Permit only" was selected for TCP, UDP ports and IP protocol.

I am not sure how this got checked but looks like it was not letting the adapter to broadcast on the network to find the HDCP server. Thus it will not be able to connect to the DHCP and renew a IP address.

Hope this helps

Thank you everyone for helping me out.

-Ketan

7. billnye123

billnye123

i have the same problem to but mine dosen't show my ip it just has .00.0.0..0 is all zero

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/806641

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice