1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Acquiring Network address (forever)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by SkiPaco, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkiPaco

SkiPaco Thread Starter

I searched some of the other similar posts, but nothing quite matched mine.

The last time my computer was connected to the internet was to a college network in October, and it worked just fine. I just had cable internet installed yesterday, and the tech was never able to get it working. Although it says it is connected, it will not get past "Acquiring network address" I bought a new NIC after messing with the computer for hours yesterday, and there was no change.

Also, I'm not sure if its related or not, but I thought it worth mentioning...just yesterday (before the cable installation) my computer started taking 5+ minutes to boot up...way longer than usual.

Windows XP SP2
    1GB RAM
    wired connection through a motorola modem that DOES work

2. SkiPaco

SkiPaco Thread Starter

i just read a thread from a guy who said that he fixed this same problem by wiping the HD and doing a clean Windows install. Surely there's a less extreme fix?

3. pedroguy

pedroguy

Ski:I think that to give you diagnostic assistance the techs here will need to know a bit more about your envireonment.
    Do you have a router,is this dsl/or cable,is there a firewall running,if so disable it,see if that makes a difference,are you using any kind of encryption for security,what AV,if any are you running.
    In the meantime,you could try an ipconfig and look at the results

start/run/cmd
    type in ipconfig/release
    wait for results the
    ipconfig /renew
    look at results and see if that made a difference

also take a look at your services running

again
    start/run
    cmd

type in
    services.msc
    is wireless zero config running
    if so disable it
    if not enable it
    see if either of these makes a difference

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542317

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice