1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) Acrobat Distiller Printer is not installing

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by carrion, Jan 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carrion

carrion Thread Starter

I am running Windows 2000. I am using Acrobat 5.0.5. I have re-installed the program and Rebooted =). This did not fix my problem. The Distiller Printer is still not being installed. I went through instructions located on the adobe web site that addresses this isse but still no luck.

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/2dbaa.htm

Those instructions were more for win XP even though they are titled "XP and 2000"

So, has anyone ever delt with this problem before. Again my problem is:

When I install Acrobat 5.0.5 the Acrobat Distiller Printer Does not install.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

2. shadowboss

shadowboss

Hi,

Have you tried installing the Printer through the Windows utility? Try this and see if it works.

1. Insert the Adobe CDROM, but don't install anything. Close the installer window if it opens automatically.

2. Click Start>Settings>Printers.

3. Double-click the Add printer icon. This starts a wizard where you can install a local or a network printer. In your case, choose Local.

4. Eventually, you will be asked to browse to the printer file. Click the "Have Disk" button, and browse the contents of the Adobe CD for the printer file. I believe it should be a *.inf file.

5. Follow the rest of the wizard to complete the installation.

I don't know if this will work, but it is worth a try.

Good luck.

3. carrion

carrion Thread Starter

Good Idea, I'll give it a try

4. carrion

carrion Thread Starter

Well that didn't quite fix it (the printer will install that way though) but it led me to a familiar error that allowed me to solve the problem. Pretty simple, but impossible to just stumble across.

When I tried to manually install the distiller printer from the Acrobat CD, I got to the point were the wizard copies driver files files and I got an "Access Denied Error". I checked to make sure I was logged in as administrator and remebered a similar problem I had with an installation of a HP printer and a New Dell Optiplex. I went through fits with both Dell and HP and never found a better solution than re-install the OS(Suggestion from both Dell and HP) Well I did re-install but it didn't help.

The problem is with the properties on the Spool Directory (C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32). Just change them to full Control for everyone or the users that need it and the problem is solved.

Removed Acrobat and re-installed it again and the Distiller Printer was successfully installed.

If I hadn't tried to install the printer manually with the Acrobat CD I wouldn't have found my problem, thanks for the help.

Carrion

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/198560

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice