1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Acrobat Reader 7.0 Won't Open Outlook Express Attachments

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by NorsKenR, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NorsKenR

NorsKenR Thread Starter

During 2006, my PC was using Win98-SE. In December, I began having problems booting, (it would only boot in safe mode). (BTW - this followed a seize-up viewing a Video Professor CD).

A tech at a computer show installed a new hard drive and Windows XP Home. The old hard drive (partitioned as C: and D: ) became a slave unit as D: and E:. This preserved valuable company data but meant numerous applications had to be reinstalled.

I reinstalled Internet Explorer and Outlook Express and I receive E-mail OK, but I have a serious "nuisance" problem. Attachments of type ".doc" will open automatically using Word, but ".pdf" attachments will no longer automatically open via Adobe Reader 7.0. I get an error window saying there is no file association for type ".pdf" and I should set one using Folder Options.

What is somewhat strange is that the path in the top banner line of the error window does not really exist. It will say "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\...", then a machine-generated 8-char alphanumeric folder name. However, this only exists down as far as "Local Settings." That folder has two subfolders: "Application Data" and "Temp", but NOT "Temporary Internet Files".

To find "Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\", you have to open "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings" instead. Needless to say, when you do, the machine-generated temporary folder name, (for example, "NRM09ROY"), isn't there. (Yes, I have "Hidden Files" set to show.)

I am able to save the temporary attachment file to a normal folder and then open it OK. So Windows XP is not failing to find the attachment file. But somehow this may explain why it won't associate the file's type with the program (Adobe Reader 7.0).

There is already a file association set between the ".pdf" suffix and Acrobat Reader 7.0. It is not a matter of case sensitivity.

I would like to fix this so that I don't always have to save files to disk and then open Acrobat Reader separately and open the file. I would also like to address it in case it is symptomatic of something that could get worse.

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

3. Augie65

Augie65

If you haven't, right click on a saved pdf file and select Open With> Choose Program. On the list choose Adobe Reader and check the box at the bottom:
    Always use the selected program to open this kind of file then click OK.

4. NorsKenR

NorsKenR Thread Starter

Thank you for the suggestion, but I have a substantial e-mail trail built up in Outlook Express, and a detailed folder structure with automatic routing rules. Most other aspects of Outlook Express seem to be working OK. I just don't understand this one problem -- BTW, I edited in some more info about it.

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
  6. NorsKenR

NorsKenR Thread Starter

Again, thank you for the suggestion, but I tried it and nothing changed.

7. NorsKenR

NorsKenR Thread Starter

Thanks, but I checked the system requirements for Reader 8.0, and it specifies a PentiumIII processor. I have an AMD Athlon(tm), which I believe was equivalent to a Pentium II. Best leave things as they are, it seems.

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Then post 3 should be your answer.
    Folder Options ... File types ... is another way in ...

Attached Files:

9. NorsKenR

NorsKenR Thread Starter

Thanks, Noyb, for Post #8. This time I went back into Folder Options, used RESTORE to put the file type back to the "Adobe PDF Reader" default, then went into Advanced and selected (via "Browse") the specific file path to Reader 7.0 (in "C:\Program Files\...") for the "Open" action.

(For those who may Google into this thread in the future, I had to type "Open" into the "Action" field also.) The attachment that I was having the problem with most recently is now opening OK. I am going to mark this thread as resolved - if there's a way to do that. Thanks, all who contributed.

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Look up .. and find thread tools.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537971

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice