1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: acronis help

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by col, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. col

col Thread Starter

hello,everyone need help with this 15 day trial program i just want to have a back up copy (image) of my one hd c:\ what i cannot understand is does the image that you have boot from the dvd ( drive to big for cd) or do you have make a separate boot cd.if it does boot from the image. cd will it boot from cd if system crashes or do you only need a boot cd if it crashes i hope i have explained it okay.tia..col

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you choose to add the program to the recovery media when you set the options for making images, the DVD with the image on it will boot. Otherwise, you need to boot up with the Acronis recovery CD and then restore your image that way.

Whether your machine will boot from recovery media depends why the system "crashed". If Windows is not starting and you need to recover, then the DVD should boot because it has nothing to do with what is on the hard drive. But if the system crashes for some other reason, like bad hardware, then it is not likely that it will boot from CD either.

3. col

col Thread Starter

If you choose to add the program to the recovery media when you set the options for making images, the DVD with the image on it will boot. Otherwise, you need to boot up with the Acronis recovery CD and then restore your image that way.

elvandil,thanks for reply.ok so does what you said mean if it hasn't crashed just put image made on dvd in drive change boot order to dvd drive first boot and follow instructions. that right.and if its crashed you need to have a seperate boot cd
    is that right.if i need a boot cd could you advise me of what i need for acronis. and please.one quick one can i delete the one i want to recover from or does this one go on top of old one..col.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

If all else fails, read the directions.

You make the recovery CD from within the running Acronis program. Or there may be a shortcut in the Start menu for creating the recovery CD. The recovery CD is useful and should be made no matter what method you use to create images. You can make images from the booted CD also, even without having Acronis installed.

Then, in Acronis, when you set up the settings for making an image, you need to change the default options when that part shows up so that you can add the program to the recovery media.

None of this has anything to do with whether the system "crashed" or not. Since you can't restore a partition while it is being used, if you want to restore an image of your system partition, you will always need to boot from either the bootable recovery media on the image media that you made, or the separate bootable CD.

5. col

col Thread Starter

elvandil,thanks for your reply. ok. col.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920713

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice