1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Acronis Universal Restore - driver issue

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sync, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sync

sync Thread Starter

I'm using this for the first time to restore to a different computer. During the restore I'm getting a message to put the chipset driver on removable media.

I've downloaded the driver and ran the exe to extract the files. There are a bunch of files and some of them are in folders. I get the impression that the restore program may only be looking in the root directory of the flash drive so I'm wondering if I need to take all the files from the folders and put them in the root directory of the flash drive. I don't want to put more than necessary in their because I have a lot of files already on there.

So I'm hoping someone who has been though this can provide some direction. I contacted Acronis tech support and they just directed me to one of their web pages which wasn't helpful.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you haven't done so, try the restore with just the drivers that Windows supplies. My experience is that it is very rare that it is necessary to add any drivers in order to get the machine up and running. Then you can update or elaborate the drivers as you need to. Missing drivers can be added later, too, if not crucial ones. Think in terms of whether Windows would install on that machine without any drivers other than the default ones supplied by Windows during that time.

(Keep in mind when adding drivers that the "driver" that you want to add is not really the "driver" at all, but the .inf file that specifies to Windows what files the driver needs and how to install them.)

3. sync

sync Thread Starter

How do I do that?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Just skip adding more drivers and Acronis will use Windows drivers.

5. sync

sync Thread Starter

Universal Restore is an amazing feature once you learn that it can give bogus requests for drivers and you can just ignore them.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Does that mean that you used it and succeeded? It really is pretty rare that a driver would be needed to get Windows running since it is designed to install on many, many machines with no additional drivers. At the time I used it, I just wanted to see how it worked and skipped the part about adding drivers. The restore worked fine, anyway. It was a good and useful introductory lesson. :D Of the drivers that you may someday actually need to add, it is chipset and mass storage drivers that are most likely to be needed. You just add the ".inf" file and Acronis will read it and load any needed files after that, provided they are in the same folder as the inf.

So, are you ready for:

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the button above.

?

7. sync

sync Thread Starter

The restore was successful. I haven't been able to pass Windows activation on the restored computer but that is another issue.

Thanks for your help.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916923

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice