1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Acronis won't run-RPC server error

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by tfp2, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tfp2

tfp2 Thread Starter

Running XP, SP3
    Attempting to perform complete backup with Acronis True Home 10 (as I've done previously)
    Reach the 'Proceed' screen & then receive 'Failed to create the scheduled task. Error #1722.
    "The RPC Server is unavailable"

Services reflects:
    RPC call as started/automatic
    RPC Locator as not started/Manual

Tried running backup after starting RPC locator with no change.

This post has been reported.
    Acronis Scheduler2 Service not shown in the list
    have uninstalled/reinstalled Acronis to no avail.

Any help greatly appreciated.
    TIA

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I had (sometimes have) the same problem ..
    It's due to the fact I usually shut down some of the Acronis Startups .. As Byteman pointed to.

Usually, I remove Acronis and run from the Acronis Boot CD .. Then I don't have to worry about it.
    Since I don't do scheduling .. It doesn't need to be installed and you can do almost anything with the Boot CD.

4. Byteman

Hi Noyb,

Do you mean using msconfig to remove part of Acronis from startups?

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Yes .. sometimes it works .. sometimes not.
    Usually .. I just run from the Boot CD and don't worry about it.
    About the only reason I've found to have ATI installed is if I want to read a compressed Acronis backup Image.
    ATI is getting a little Bloated with stuff I don't use.

6. Byteman

That does sound like a solution for the poster!

What I have always read though is that to restore a backup...... you have to already have the Acronis program on the drive.

I'm talking about when the computer gets into a bad situation, and you need to put an image back in place....

Where are we keeping the images, external drive or disk? Wonder if the poster is backing up to the main system drive....that isn't a good way to go.

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Wrong .. How would you build a New (Blank) HDD if you couldn't restore using the Boot CD.
    The Boot CD loads Acronis into RAM .. Then runs Acronis from RAM.

8. tfp2

tfp2 Thread Starter

to no avail. :( Can't get scheduler2 to show on the services list, much less start it. Guess we'll have to provide all the info to Acronis support. Only other option is maybe to create a boot cd on my netbook & attempt to use that to run the backup from my desktop to the external drive, which is all I'm really trying to do. Worked so easy in past, but certainly no joy now. :confused: Thank for all your help-much appreciated.

9. Byteman

Sorry, I didn't even equate the Boot CD as having the backup on it, if it does.....or if you then connect an external or something... and then point it to the stored image. Never done one.

And, I've actually forgotten what I was thinking about having the program installed....to do whatever!

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Have you tried removing ATI .. and reinstalling it.

The Boot CD does not have the Backup files on it .. Just the basic ATI Program.
    that allows Backup, recovery and Cloning.
    The ATI.tib backup images must be in an External HDD .. That's connected when you boot from the ATI Boot CD

11. tfp2

tfp2 Thread Starter

Yep-did an Uninstall using Revo & reinstalled from ATI cd-no joy. Still doesn't have the Acronis Scheduler2 shown in the Services.

12. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Does it show in msconfig ???
    There are a few users here at TSG that would rather backup from the Boot CD .. While the system is not running.
    It makes them nervous to Image a system that's running.

13. tfp2

tfp2 Thread Starter

Nope-not in msconfig

14. tfp2

tfp2 Thread Starter

Finally-here's the fix which worked for me. You might have to go to the source at the bottom for the links to work.

Please do the following:

1. Make sure that Acronis Scheduler 2 Service (Administrative Tools -> Services) Startup type is set to Automatic in Properties. If it is not so, make it so.

2. If the above does not help, run the schedhlp.exe and schedul2.exe manually in Windows Task Manager (File -> New Task) or do the following:

- Download and unpack this archive;
    - Please run schedmgr.exe application;
    - Issue following commands:

service stop
    service uninstall

- Close schedmgr;
    - Please replace schedhlp.exe and schedul2.exe files in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2 folder with the files from this archive

- Please run schedmgr.exe application again;
    - Issue following commands:

service install
    service start

- Close schedmgr;

Source:
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=689115

15. Byteman

Good work. Even though it is a closed sub-forum over at Wilders' security forums, that Acronis forum can stilll provide a lot of help to TI users.....glad you worked it out! You can mark your own thread "Solved" when you feel it is. You can still post here if need be after marking it Solved......

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972640

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice