1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Acronym Needed

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by ibo, Oct 3, 2008.

Advertisement
  1. ibo

ibo Thread Starter

Hello. I need a funny acronym for the math club at school.
    The phrase is: Math Weekly Challenge Question

You can substitute Challenge with Bonus or something else but it has to make sense and carry the above meaning. This is tough, isn't it?

2. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    That is a tough one... how much more can you expand?

Just a thought.... maybe we brainstorm on more options. So...

What grade is this? What age are you appealing to? What level of math are you trying to teach?

I assume this will be above-average questions for that level. Will they win some kind of prize?

Just thinking... maybe there are some other ways to approach it in addition to the one you have here.

3. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi ibo,

!(42): The Weekly Math Hitchhiking Puzzle
    Brought to you by the Math Hitchhiker's Club -
    And the Answer is Not 42!

Prove that Not 42! == !(42)? It depends on ignoring the ?, and choosing the notational conventions of your expression language.

I'm just playing here with the notion Is the Universe Acutally Made of Math? and coupling it with Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy references.

-- Tom

P.S. There must be an acronym in there somewhere! :) Something like the
    Weekly Big Bang Challenge - the Collision of Branes

4. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Weekly
    Arithmetical
    Challenge
    Kwestion

5. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    Awesome!! I sat around racking my brain on this. I was too left-brained to change to a K for that. :)

I was hoping to brainstorm with the OP about other ideas too. They could do this for a while, then maybe another one after that.

I think it's cool when people are motivating/working to improve learning environments.(y)

6. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    Thank you but I ba$tardized question with great trepidation but foul letters and no vowels spelled certain death for any understandable acronym. Note how I had to substitute math to get a usable vowel.

7. ibo

ibo Thread Starter

Well, this is going to be a club mainly compsed of the Gr.12 AP Advanced Functions class. It will be an association where we will organize and hand out 5-minute brainskrewers to every math class in the school. And since we are supposed to be the most brilliant people in the school, we will be marking the questions and getting more and more people to like math.
    The problem that people just ignore math genericaly all over society and there are people who never give it a chance. I'm trying to reshape a small part of this community, because I think that math is a very powerful weapon.
    About the acronym: theoritically, every word is substitutable except Math. It is indeed hard for me.

8. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim

Then you need at least one vowel to make a word out of it.

9. ibo

ibo Thread Starter

Yeah..I noticed that there is no vowel. You're right - there is no word without a vowel. But by changing some of the words, a vowel can be discovered.
    For example, changing Math for Arithmetical is a valid example, although it changes the meaning because Algebra is only a small part of Math, the concept, and Arithmetic is only a small part of Algebra itself. There will be Geometric, Word, Picture and Riddle problems in this*****(acronym), too.

10. iltos

iltos

here's a list that this site came up with, using your words.

11. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    Well, blow me away!!! :eek:

I guess I'm out of this thread! :rolleyes:

12. iltos

iltos

hehehe....i liked yours best so far....it's something kids would remember and USE :D

13. pyritechips

First Name:
    Jim
    Thanks! I just wanted to tack a Y on the end of it somehow to make it wacky!:D

14. ibo

ibo Thread Starter

Solved:

Periodical
    Issue of
    Mathematical
    Problems

Guess what the members would be called? :p

15. iltos

iltos

LOL (y)

poifect :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755865

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice