1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: active directory

Discussion in 'Networking' started by valis, Jan 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. valis

valis Moderator Thread Starter

got an issue here. Have a pc I'm trying to join to our domain, and when I add it to the OU and hit refresh, it shows up, but with a red x over it. I can rt click, choose enable, and the x goes away, but when I refresh it, back it comes.

I can ping the machine fine, so I know that it exists. I can also get to the internet from this machine, the names match up, but for some reason, I cannot get that red x to go away so I can join the pc to our domain.

The os is XP Pro, gig of ram, 2 gig processor.

TIA,

valis

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Is this a machine name that got added into the computers OU by adding the machine into the domain that you just moved to another OU or did you create the machinename in AD then move it to the OU then add the machine?

Usually this is how I do it. 1) search AD for a computername if its there delete it out (or figure out why there are 2 computernames that are the same if its active) 2) add computer to domain which adds computer name into computer OU 3) move the computer from the computer OU to the OU where its to reside.

3. valis

nope, this is a brand new machine to the OU. I added the name (we use the serial number as the name as to avoid duplicates), it shows up in teh OU, I go to the client pc, network properties, advanced, computer name tab, click change next to the 'join a domain', toss in our domain, then my username and password. The error I am getting is leading me to believe that it's a permissions issue on my end. As follows:

"the following error occurred attempting to join the domain:

Not enough storage is available to complete the operation"

When I added it to the AD, I simply selected our network (there's about 500 networks spread around the world), right clicked in the empty space, and selected new > computer, then filled in the blanks. I've done this dozens of times in the past, and it's always worked, which AGAIN leads me to believe that my permissions were hosed somewhere.

But I still want your input, as I am unfamiliar wtih that error message.

v

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

5. valis

no, I havn't. Not too sure I want to do that. When I do that, where in the OU is the default location? Remember, we've got hundreds of little networks in our AD; I don't want to have it join the wrong one.

6. valis

tried your way, same error.

7. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

The Computers OU is nested under the domain OU right on the first tree.

Hrmmm your right its sounding like someone has played with permissions somewhere. Have you tried a secondary ID to connect in or is this the only ID you have to use?

8. valis

only id I have to use. Got the boss involved, he's on his way over from another site. Obviously a bit hot about me sitting here on my thumbs. We'll see. I will update later.

9. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

10. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Also have you checked the clients IP and DNS information to make sure it jives with your scheme?

11. valis

yup....as I mentioned, I've done dozens of these in the past. There is something hinky with my permissions, and they've been working on it for a bit. this is just another manifestation of it.

stumped, thanks for the assistance. Once I get the permissions checked out, I will let you know what happened, and the resolution.

v

12. valis

it was a permissions issue. The 'powers that be' had me logged into too many domains, to hte kerberos was kicking in.....one of the L1 guys threw me down a reg hack to solve it, and it works, but I have to run it not only on every pc, but every freakin' i.d. that I need to work on.

but hey, it works.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!