Solved: actual files

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rbigg

To get my cobwebs out of brain: you don't hurt anything by getting rid of those icons of your files on DESKTOP do you? Seems like I remember you can delete the icon, but your basic file will still be OK (pictures, music, .pps, etc). I know finding it can sometimes be a problem, but that's another whole topic...... Through sheer incompetence, more than anything else, I've got a million on my DESKTOP.......

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Deprnds on how and why the icon is on the desktop.
Some are the file it's self and the file would be deleted when the icon is deleted.

Whenever I've removed desktop icons using the right click menu and 'Delete' in XP, I've had a cheerful little message from Windows that deleting the shortcut doesn't remove the program it relates to.

A desktop shortcut icon will have a curved arrow in the lower-left corner. If no arrow, the icon represents an actual file or program. Additionally, if you right-click an icon and select properties, the dialog window will clearly state it is a shortcut (unless its not)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online