1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Actual folders on desktop

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by harry_mossman, Feb 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. harry_mossman

harry_mossman Thread Starter

I somehow put actual folders on my desktop instead of shortcuts - Downloads and a folder with my name. How can I move them to where they should be? I don't really understand what they are.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You don't know any of the ways to move a file or folder? Or you don't know to where they should be moved?

Are these new folders that you created (which would imply that you know where you want them) or "system" folders that you somehow accidentally moved? If the latter the folder with your name is probably your account profile and should be in C:\Users; and Downloads should probably be in C:\Users\<your account>.

3. harry_mossman

Yes, they are system folders. For some reason, though, downloads has became a shortcut. I am 99% positive that it was the actual folder last time I looked.

There IS a Harry systems folder listed in Desktop on Windows Explorer but I can't find it on the physical desktop. And it seems to be a duplicate of one in C:\users\Harry

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What is the Target?

I'm lost. The way I read that you have at least three folders named "Harry" and they are sub-folders of each other and, hence, circular. Maybe some screen shots would help. If you need help with a screen shot see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows Vista or latter I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

5. harry_mossman

I'm lost too. All that is on my desktop now is the standard Windows Explorer shortcut.

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Click on the orb (old start button) and in the run/find box (magnifying glass), type in desktop icons.
    Click Show or hide common desktop icons.
    Put checks/ticks in front of the ones you want showing.

If you want a shortcut to a particular program, find the program in the list and right click it. Then select Send to then select desktop (create shortcut).

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!