1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Ad-Aware 2007 - Server Busy Message

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by DoubleHelix, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned Thread Starter

I installed the latest version of Ad-Aware, and every time I use it, I receive a message that it can't be updated because the server is busy. However, it updates anyway. The update launches in front of the error. This is rather disconcerting coming from a security application. I never had this problem with previous versions of Ad-Aware.

Has anyone else experienced this or know what's up with this new version?

2. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

I only run Ad-Aware on demand so turned off the auto update feature for just that reason (its not that hard to remember to update it when I run it).
    I also didn't like that it left a service running in the background despite the fact the free version wasn't doing anything proactively (I changed the service start up to manual instead of auto).

The updater works a little weird in this version, I think it checks for definition updates on one server and checks for engine updates on another (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and any updates found then get downloaded and installed. Its possible that it is finding the def updates but not the scanning engine ones.

3. DoubleHelix

I can't seem to find the setting to turn auto-updates off. I disabled the background services when I installed it.

If I try to update manually, the only that appears in the "News" window is "New Ad-Aware 2007 released". There's no option to update, and nothing launches.

This has got to be one of the worst application updates I've encountered in quite a while.

4. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

here it is

[​IMG]

edit - it updated for me manually last time I tried (which was on friday), today I'm getting the same results as you so maybe they are having some server issues at the moment.
    - the last update listed on their site is 0006.0000 released on June 29, thats what I have. which is why nothing happens when I click update :D

Attached Files:

5. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

6. DoubleHelix

Thanks, DarqueMist. The picture helped. I also uninstalled and reinstalled (the new version), and I don't get the server error anymore. The update process worked much better. It seems that if there aren't updates available or you've already got the latest update, clicking the Update button results in a non-response. I'd prefer some type of notice that updates are not available or already installed, but oh well.

Thanks for the article, 1002richards. Interesting read.

7. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590979

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice