1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Adapter breaks during data transfer across network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Jimmyjazz, Feb 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jimmyjazz

Jimmyjazz It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

Windows 7 32 bit laptop ----> Windows 7 64 bit PC with USB network adapter.

I'm trying to move a folder from one computer to the other. There are about 300 files totalling 3mb.

At around "234 files remaining", the transfer freezes, and after a minute or so, the network connection on the destination computer is shown as Disabled. If I right click and choose "Enable", it makes the attempt, says "connection failed", and then "It is not possible to connect at this time. No network was detected. You may need to plug in your network cable to complete the connection."

What will fix it is unplugging the USB network adapter and replugging. But it only allows a little bit more transfer before it happens again.

I tried initiating the transfer from one computer, and again from the destination (bringing the files to it), but the problem occurs just the same. On additional attempts it will reconnect to the other computer and allow me to browse the files, but the connection crashes again without any more progress. My internet connection is fine otherwise, doesn't do this unless I'm transferring data across the network. I disabled Eset real-time protection but have windows firewall up (I'd rather not turn it off).

Any ideas on this one?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest driver for the USB adapter (from the manufacturer's web site).

Please show for when you have a connection and again for when it has been lost ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. Jimmyjazz

Thanks for the quick response, TerryNet.

Here are the ipconfig results for when things are working:
    When the adapter breaks:
    If I attempt it as soon as the problem happens, the ipconfig sits and waits and eventually returns the same result. I had the latest driver, but I tried installing the software from the website, and it changed my setup to DHCP. The adapter crash still happens but everything is slow as the software keeps trying to re-establish the connection.

I tried another transfer with a single large file but it got interrupted too. :(

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    From the looks of the static IP configuration I'm guessing that there is a wireless router involved.

The disconnects are probably caused by a bad driver (which you have made sure is not the case), problem with the router, wireless interference or a defective adapter,

Make sure you have the latest firmware for the router; then reset it to factory default settings and reconfigure.

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you are using the computer in a different room from the router also show the Xirrus output close to (5 or 6 feet) the router.

If possible try the adapter in the same way on another computer.

When you are doing the transfers is there any other traffic on the wireless network (the answer would of course be yes if the other computer is connected by wireless)?

5. Jimmyjazz

Hi again,

I'm attaching the Xirrus page. I blocked a big unnecessary chunk of the image to decrease the file size.

There's no new firmware to my router since it's no longer supported (was sold to my ISP).

I installed the adapter on another computer and the transfers work perfectly. Same folder from the same computer to a different one. I was hoping it was a problem with the adapter so that my computer is fine, but I guess not.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the driver, had my adapter settings wiped, and it still happens. I don't understand it at all.

Edit: I tried turning off the Windows firewall, no fix. Tried changing wireless channels, no fix.

Attached Files:

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When you were unnecessarily blocking an "unnecessary" chunk of the image did you take notice of what is probably the important part?

Hint: see what the Xirrus User Guide says about Signal on page 4.

The need for a stronger signal would be pretty much confirmed if you were getting a better signal on the other computer.

7. Jimmyjazz

It was necessary to block that chunk because the file was over the 300kB limit before. It was an unnecessary section because it contained blank space and buttons to connect/disconnect and enable/disable.

As for signal, -73 is just under the "robust" threshold, and is never a problem with internet, only network transfer. It is 3 feet away from a wall with the router right on the other side. When using the adapter on the other computer and having no problems, it was 8 further feet away and through the wall.

From searching "unplugging" in Netgear's support forum (a term every person with my problem would use since it's the only thing that makes it work again), I found several threads about people with 2 Netgear products reporting similar experiences, mostly with Windows 7 64 bit. There were of course no fixes given there, since there doesn't seem to be any staff there, just 7500 users asking for help and getting none. I'm going to assume this is a problem with 64-bit Win7 and Netgear's incompetence and find a better set up.

Thanks for your time.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sorry I couldn't help. It may indeed by a problem with the 64-bit driver. The other computer you tested with is not Windows 7 64-bit, right?

9. Jimmyjazz

The other one is Win 7 32 bit. The site says their driver is for both versions, but I think they claim that so people don't complain about them not supporting 64. I'll never buy Netgear anything.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/983303

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice