1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Add Programs To Start Menu

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jpboyrox, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jpboyrox

jpboyrox Thread Starter

I'm trying to add quick links to my start menu. I know that this process should be easy: drag and drop right? And yet every time I try it comes up with the refusing mouse. If I try too add it manually by going to C:\Users\Admin\Start Menu and adding a shortcut there then it will appear in the all programs list at the top. This is really annoying. And yes, I do have "Enable dragging and dropping" unfortunately this still refuses to work. Do you think that someone might have manually disabled it from services.msc or something like that? If so then I shouldn't be too hard fix right? Any thoughts?

2. eberlysystems

eberlysystems

I don't think you can manually disable that - windows isn't that configurable to my knowledge.

Did you try right-clicking on them and selecting "Pin to Start Menu"?

You ARE trying to move from the "Quick Launch" toolbar?

3. jpboyrox

jpboyrox Thread Starter

The "pin to start menu" option isn't there but what do you mean by your comment "You ARE trying to move from the "Quick Launch" toolbar?" do you mean to drag and drop icons that are in the quick launch toolbar? If so then yes, I have tried that

4. eberlysystems

eberlysystems

If you right-click on an "All Programs/Program/AnyShortcut" link, does it give you a "Pin to Start Menu" option then?

5. jpboyrox

jpboyrox Thread Starter

emmmmmmm no

6. jpboyrox

jpboyrox Thread Starter

the reason why I thought that it might be in services.msc is because the guy who set up my PC manually disabled themes and some other functions from there, causing my a lot of bother. Until I worked out how to fix it

7. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

To add a program to the Start menu, right-click on Start > click on Properties > Customize... > Add.

8. jpboyrox

jpboyrox Thread Starter

there is no "add" option there is however an option saying max number of programs in start menu but this is set to 15 and does nothing for me. It might be in advanced but haven't found anything relevant

9. Phantom010

Select the Customize from the Classic Start menu.

10. jpboyrox

jpboyrox Thread Starter

I've tried this and it works but when I set it back to normal start menu it moves to all programs list at the top like before. There's got to be a way of keeping it there! Arrrggghhh

11. Phantom010

I prefer the Classic Start menu so I leave it there.

12. jpboyrox

jpboyrox Thread Starter

So you have no more ideas?

13. Phantom010

14. jpboyrox

jpboyrox Thread Starter

15. Phantom010

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/882609