Solved: Add/Remove Program problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SBruce

The Add/Remove programs does not want to remove programs. Using M/S XP Home ED. Problem started during a removal process when the screen saver activated. I moved the mouse to open window or clear screen saver and it froze. Only method I could use to get out of this situation was to hit the Alt - CTRL-DELETE to see what was not responding which turned out to be the ADD/REMOVE. I clicked the "end now" and got out of that scene but since then the ADD/REMOVAL does not seem to work properly. What can I do?
Bruce

The quick fix might be System Restore. Have you tried it? Start > run msconfig > launch System Restore.

If that doesn't help, describe exactly what happens when you try to remove something through Add/Remove programs. You may need to try more than one program to test.

Also, run eventvwr.msc and look in the System and Applications logs for any associated errors.

Double click them to view the description and use the double-paper "copy" icon to copy and then paste the descriptions here.

i totally agree with the system restore. it works most of the time and that will be your most basic troubleshooting for xp. just restore it to a time when it was still working properly.

SBruce

I did some other removals and all seemed to work ok. It may have been only the one program that it didn't work properly on. As it worked ok on the others that I tried it on I guess there is a glitch on that on particular item. I will consider this closed as I have done some other changes since and don't want to mess them up. Thanks for the help. Yes I have used the restore facility before and it is a great tool.
Bruce:)

Great; you may find some "orphan" entries in Add/Remove programs; uninstallers may leave them behind. You can check to see if they have any folders remaining on the system if you know where they are located.

If you just see the entry and nothing else, you can delete it from the Add/Remove programs list by running regedit and locating it under the uninstall key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

In other cases programs may need to be reinstalled and then removed again from Add/Remove programs.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online