1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Added hard drive, now win doesn't start

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by erniejt, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erniejt

erniejt Thread Starter

This one has me confused. I recently added a second hard drive to my system. Now Win7 won't start. I tried to boot from the installation disc. I get a screen that gives me the option to install windows, or repair the system. I selected repair and got a multiple choice menu including repair start up,which I chose. "attempting repairs" goes on for at least a half an hour without results.
    Now, I know if I re-install windows it will format the drive and I'll lose my data. I'd like to repair the start up prcedure without losing my data. Can this be done or do I have to sacrifice my data and start from scratch?
    Please assume I'm a newbie with your responses.
    Thanks
    ernie
    btw- both hard drives are SATA. it's possible that the cables to the motherboard got mixed up. In other words, if Drive C was connected to SATA port 1 and was moved to SATA port 3, would that make a difference?

2. dai

dai

try switching the cables over

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!