1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Adding a data filled 2nd harddrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sparkknock, Apr 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sparkknock

sparkknock Guest Thread Starter

I have just purchased a new computer (2.8Ghz Pentium 4, 1 GB RAM, 128MB Video Card and an 80GB hardrive). I am running Windows XP home edition. I also have my old computer and I want to take the hardrive out of it and put it in the new computer as a slave. I then want to take data off the old harddrive and tranfer it to the new 80GB harddrive. I am running Windows 98SE on my old harddrive.

MY question is: Do I need to disable Windows 98SE on my old disk? Will the new computer recognize the second hard drive? How do I shut off Windows 98SE, to keep it from booting up when the new computer starts running?

Thanks for all your effort to my problem in advance.

Sparkknock

2. brite750

brite750

I'm not an expert at this but, you don't have to do anything with the 98 drive because it will be set to slave, will not boot the os. You should be able to read data from 98 drive as if it was a floppy, not sure about the fat32, ntfs thing. Keep in mind you be be able to copy data only not programs, i.e. you will have to reinstall any programs you had on the 98 hdd onto the new hdd.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You should not have any problems at all. All modern computers use CS [cable select] for determining master / slave. Set the jumper on the old drive to CS and install it on the grey end of the ide cable. Restart the computer and xp will find your drive and assign a drive letter. You can copy anything you want.

Just to clarify the blue end of the cable goes to the mb or controller card, black to master, and grey to slave device.

If by chance your box does not use CS, then set the jumper to slave on the old hd.

4. max 8

max 8

Both Brite750 and crjdriver are correct. As long as you have the HDs configured correctly (slave and master), you should be able to read what's on the 2nd HD and transfer whatever files you have in there to the new HD.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!