Solved: adding a hard drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

king_02891

i had an older compag computor and the power unit crapped out it had windows XP home for an operating system, so i bought a new compag presario with windows 7 for an operating system, my question is can i take the old hard drive which has a lot of non replaceable stuff on it, and add it to my new computor without too much difficulty?

There is a high possibility that the new PC does not have the same hard drive interface as the old HDD.

Odds are the old HDD uses PATA (IDE) interface cable, the 2" wide ribbon cable.

If the old HDD uses SATA (narrow cable), there are usually a few free SATA ports on the system board.

Of course there is also the possibility of a PATA interface on the old board.

If there is a mismatch, you can always purchase a hard drive enclosure, so you can connect your old drive via USB

As was mentioned, its probably an IDE drive and the new one is SATA. the easiest way to do this would be to get yourself an IDE to SATA adapter there cheep and simplistic to install.

As was mentioned, its probably an IDE drive and the new one is SATA. the easiest way to do this would be to get yourself an IDE to SATA adapter there cheep and simplistic to install.
Funny, I have been steering away from even considering those because they were so expensive when they first came out.

It's good to know they've gotten a less expensive

king_02891

checked out the hard drive and its a sata model number seagate barracuda 7200.9 160GB (st3160812as) so it should fit right in correct?

king_02891

but i still don't know what to do because its a different operating system than windows 7 (XP Home edition)

Just add it. The computer should still boot from the new drive and you can either copy the files or just leave the old drive in as a backup or storage drive.

king_02891

will it read as another drive with a different letter and accesing the stuff on it won't interfere with the windows 7 system?

etherdose

Michael
it wont interfere at all. Your computer will assign it a drive letter. Elementary...my dear Watson!

etherdose

Michael
You can even buy a simple $15 external drive...this way you can use this extra drive as storage and you can turn it off and on as you need it to save power without the drive consuming power.

etherdose

Michael
The way you are making it sound.....the operating system isn't depending on the hardware as much as you are thinking. Any operating system...(well...almost any) can be used with any build. The problem lies in the fact that if you use a really old setup...it may not be able to run something newer like Windows 7. It may be limited to Xp at best....or worst case even Windows 2000. You would prefer to use a newer chip to run Windows 7 with at least (I suggest) 2 gigs or better. I use an amd phenom myself and it runs Win 7 fine.

EDIT = Also...running an old operating system..(say Windows 98) might not work with the newer chips. I believe the lowest you can go without a lot of trouble is Xp. You can do 2000nt but it's a b.itch...and 2000 isn't really duel core compatible like xp is.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online