1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: adding a hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by king_02891, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. king_02891

king_02891 Thread Starter

i had an older compag computor and the power unit crapped out it had windows XP home for an operating system, so i bought a new compag presario with windows 7 for an operating system, my question is can i take the old hard drive which has a lot of non replaceable stuff on it, and add it to my new computor without too much difficulty?

2. PedroHin

PedroHin

There is a high possibility that the new PC does not have the same hard drive interface as the old HDD.

Odds are the old HDD uses PATA (IDE) interface cable, the 2" wide ribbon cable.

If the old HDD uses SATA (narrow cable), there are usually a few free SATA ports on the system board.

Of course there is also the possibility of a PATA interface on the old board.

If there is a mismatch, you can always purchase a hard drive enclosure, so you can connect your old drive via USB

3. Lance1

Lance1

As was mentioned, its probably an IDE drive and the new one is SATA. the easiest way to do this would be to get yourself an IDE to SATA adapter there cheep and simplistic to install.

4. PedroHin

PedroHin

Funny, I have been steering away from even considering those because they were so expensive when they first came out.

It's good to know they've gotten a less expensive

5. Hughv

Hughv

6. king_02891

thanks for the advice ill look into and post results

7. king_02891

checked out the hard drive and its a sata model number seagate barracuda 7200.9 160GB (st3160812as) so it should fit right in correct?

8. king_02891

but i still don't know what to do because its a different operating system than windows 7 (XP Home edition)

9. Hughv

Hughv

Just add it. The computer should still boot from the new drive and you can either copy the files or just leave the old drive in as a backup or storage drive.

10. king_02891

will it read as another drive with a different letter and accesing the stuff on it won't interfere with the windows 7 system?

11. Hughv

Hughv

Yes.

12. king_02891

ummm sorry for seeming thick but yes it won't interfere or yes it will?

13. etherdose

etherdose Temporarily Banned

First Name:
    Michael
    it wont interfere at all. Your computer will assign it a drive letter. Elementary...my dear Watson!

14. etherdose

First Name:
    Michael
    You can even buy a simple $15 external drive...this way you can use this extra drive as storage and you can turn it off and on as you need it to save power without the drive consuming power.

15. etherdose

First Name:
    Michael
    The way you are making it sound.....the operating system isn't depending on the hardware as much as you are thinking. Any operating system...(well...almost any) can be used with any build. The problem lies in the fact that if you use a really old setup...it may not be able to run something newer like Windows 7. It may be limited to Xp at best....or worst case even Windows 2000. You would prefer to use a newer chip to run Windows 7 with at least (I suggest) 2 gigs or better. I use an amd phenom myself and it runs Win 7 fine.

EDIT = Also...running an old operating system..(say Windows 98) might not work with the newer chips. I believe the lowest you can go without a lot of trouble is Xp. You can do 2000nt but it's a b.itch...and 2000 isn't really duel core compatible like xp is.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!