Solved: Adding A Password To A Cd....

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

g4mm3r

I want to add a password to a cd to protect my files i was wondering if some knows how to with out having to have a program on any computer i use the disc in.

i considerd using zip file passowrd protect but i need somthing a bit more powerfull and protective.I heard some were that they protect your files but can be easy to get into.

and also is there a way of running programs from a disc without installing...

Blink182

Banned
1. Just encrypt the file. None person can access it, because it was your computer that encrypted it.

2. There are some programs that you dont need to install. But you can install the program on a flash drive or CD ROM, when you need use program insert flash or CD ROM and you have program.

g4mm3r

this may sound realy newbie to u but how do i encrypt the file

Blink182

Banned
no its not newbie, especially when i see your experience ;)

1. Right click the file (the mouse button on the right of the left mouse button)
2. Select properties (the word at the end of the menu)
3. Click Advanced
4. Check the box "Encrypt Contents to Secure Data"
5. Hit OK.

g4mm3r

probly not lol ill keep working on it thank you for your help

That option is only available in Windows XP Professional.
I do not *think* it applies to files on a CD either.

Blink182

Banned
Yes, you correct kiwi. Does not apply to CD. Except i dont even have the option to go advanced.

g4mm3r

do you know were i can find a small program so i cant add it to disc and then install it to the computer i want to access the files with

Seems to be the standard, I've seen it mentioned numerous times over the years:

http://www.pgp.com/downloads/desktoptrial.php

It is a trial version but most of the functionality remians after it has expired.

The Trial software will cease full functionality thirty (30) days following your installation. Upon expiration, you will no longer be able to automatically encrypt email and IM messages, unless you purchase the full version of the product.

PGP Desktop Professional 9.0 Trial Software is an improved version of the legacy PGP Freeware (Desktop 8.x and below) product. With PGP Desktop Professional 9.0 Trial Software, all product functionality is available for 30 days. After 30 days, PGP Desktop Professional 9.0 Trial Software reverts to the functionality available in what used to be called PGP Freeware. At the end of the trial period, any local disks that have been encrypted using PGP Whole Disk Encryption, will automatically decrypt.

The following limited functionality (equivalent to prior versions of 'PGP Freeware') will continue to be operable after the initial thirty day period: PGP file encryption and signing, PGP Zip, "Current Window"(1) and "Clipboard"(2) functionality will continue to allow encryption, and you will still be able to use the decryption capabilities for all PGP Desktop Professional 9.0's product functions, thus ensuring that any encrypted data remains accessible. This limited functionality may be used on a perpetual basis solely for personal, non-commercial purposes.
Also note if you have win-zip or Winrar or some other compression software they probebly have somje type of encryption component. won't be as secure as the above but if you're only trying to keep out prying eyes then that's all you need.

g4mm3r

If i encrypte a folder does it mean that i can only access the files with the computer i encrypted it with

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
Not with Axcrypt. You can use any computer. Axcrypt has a standalone Viewer that you can put on the cd to decrypt the files.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online