1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Adding an Array Controller

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BBQ_SNOB, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BBQ_SNOB

BBQ_SNOB Account Closed Thread Starter

We have an older HP Proliant ML350 G4 server that someone installed a custom program directly to C:

They did not utilize an Array controller.

It is running Windows 2003 server with one logical & primary disc.

My question is, can I now add an Array Controller, configure an array with the currently unused hard drives, and then move with Partition Magic or similar the server to the array?

It doesn't seem possible, but because of a VERY strange application on the server it would save me time.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It depends. Is this controller a real raid card ie promise, highpoint, etc OR is it onboard type raid?

If you mean you want to install a raid card then move the install to a a raid array, that is very easy to do. If it is an onboard type, then no.

3. BBQ_SNOB

I am adding the card. It was simply sitting on the box above the server.

These are the steps I assume I will take.

1. Physically Add the card,

2. Run Smart Start
    3. Configure the remaining drives from the other bays into a partition
    4. Run Partition Magic/Disc Keeper or something to copy the installation to the drives on the array rather than that single drive.

It sounds simple, but I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

any suggestions?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes a number of things. Here is how to install the card and move the install.
    1 Install the card and drivers while you are still running the single drive.
    2 Reboot when prompted. Open device manager and make sure the card is functioning correctly ie no yellow marks, etc.
    3 Now make an image of your current install using acronis true image. Store this on an external drive, NAS, network share, etc.
    4 Reboot and enter the raid card bios NOT system bios. Create the array however do not attempt to partition or format
    5 Boot with your acronis true image boot disk and restore the image to the array
    6 Restart when done with the restore. You now have your install on a raid array

5. BBQ_SNOB

Thanks!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976668

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice