1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Adding and Typing In New Text Boxes, Dupes in Doc.

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by jllums, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jllums

jllums Thread Starter

Hi,

Word 2002, OS XP

I have an existing document, a family tree of sorts, for high profile donors to our univ. Word is not the best application but that is all that I have to choose from.

There are currently 14 pages of text boxes, text, and arrows. On page seven I started tracking changes to data.

Now when I add a new text box anywhere in the 14 pages and type, a text box with the same information appears on page seven. If I delete one I delete both. The text no matter how formatted looks like a hyperlink.

There is no grouping or linking in the document.

Not sure what to do. Has anyone ever experienced this type of issue?

2. jllums

jllums Thread Starter

Can someone please try to help? I can forward a copy of the document, it is not private information.

This is the craziest thing I have ever seen.

Thank you!

3. cherry pie

cherry pie

Hello Jllums and welcome to the board.

What exactly do you mean by (started tracking changes on page 7)? Are you using the (track changes) tool? if so this should display a (baloon) of anything you add, delete or change where you add it not on a certain page.

Please explain exactly what you mean. I think it's a good idea to post your document to have a look at it.

Cheers

4. jllums

jllums Thread Starter

Hi! The track changes is not the issue. I added it as part of my description. The problems occured when I started tracking changes.

Now when I add a new text box anywhere in the 14 pages and type, a text box with the same information appears on page 7. If I delete one I delete both. The text no matter how formatted looks like a hyperlink.

It has been suggested that the error occurs because the orignator used the drawing canvas.

Thanks.

Jamie

5. slurpee55

slurpee55

Please do post your document and I will take a look at it. :)

6. jllums

jllums Thread Starter

I hope the document is attached!

7. cherry pie

cherry pie

nope... Click (Post a reply) then click the small triangle next to the attachment button > browse > upload > Click (Close this window). Make sure you zip the file before you attach it.

8. jllums

jllums Thread Starter

It should be attached now!

Attached Files:

9. cherry pie

cherry pie

10. cherry pie

cherry pie

Well I've tried adding shapes, text and formats to various pages inside and outside the canvas but nothing is appearing in page 7 (or any other page) except the track-change baloons so everything seems right to me.

- Try saving the document as a different name and see if the problem remains.
    - I would also try copying and pasting everything in a new document and saving it under a new name.
    - Finally, if you turn off the track-changes, does the problem persist?

I'm not sure if slurpee had a look and/or has different feedback

11. jllums

jllums Thread Starter

OK, I am a little frustrated that something as simple as copying and pasting resolved the issue, it is also frustrating that you did not experience the crazy duplication of text. I have shared the document with others in the IT department and they had the same issue I did.

Saving the document as a new name did correct the problem but the copying and pasting did. I think we need to convert the document to visio or org.chart. Maybe Word has hit its peak...LOL

Turning off the track changes had no effect on the document.

Thanks again.

12. cherry pie

cherry pie

Good to know :) Can't really explain why but i know it sometimes happen. now gotta remove all the corrupted copies and distribute the good one before the disease spreads :D

Please mark the thread solved from the (thread tools) menu on top of the page

13. slurpee55

slurpee55

I was unable to make it have the same errors you were having - I could insert text boxes, delete them, edit them, link them, etc. as much as I wanted. The only thing you might look at is that additions are (as a default) kept in blue, so they could easily be mistaken for a hyperlink. You can change that easily enough, if you want - or click on them and choose Accept Insertion and the blue text goes away.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646963

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice