1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Adding another FiOS hub? Or, frequent "acquiring network adress" problem.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mattm4444, May 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mattm4444

mattm4444 Thread Starter

Here's the situation. I have Verizon FiOs hooked up to my house through a wireless modem. One computer is connected while the rest are wireless. I have a cable tv input in the room I want to add another modem to so that the computer in the room does not have to use the wireless because of the very frequent "acquiring network address" every few minutes (all computers running XP). Is it possible to buy another Fios modem, hook it up to the cable in the new room, and have a hardwired connection in that room? If this is not possible, what might be the problem with the frequent "acquiring network address" deal? The wireless network has a WEP key. Thanks in advance for the help!

2. invalidusername

invalidusername

If you have cable modem, you can not connect another modem to the cable and make things work without going thru the cable company.

The problem that you have coud be due to RF interferecne or setting in your computer. If it is RF interferrcem, then changing lokcation of router or PC may help, or you can use directional gain antenna.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

{credit johnw}

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can't add another modem, that's not how FiOS works. The FiOS ONT (Optical Network Terminal) creates a single dymanic IP Ethernet connection to the Verizon network. The router splits it out into multiple connections.

Let's start with the basics, does the wired connection have any problems? If not, I suspect that what you have is simply a wireless issue, not any problem with the FiOS service. To connect another wired computer, you just need to run a CAT5 cable from the router to the machine in question.

My only issue with FiOS since I got it was a tree falling on the fiber cable up the street and knocking us out for almost a day. Verizon is also all over FiOS problems, since this is their flagship product right now, and they're really trying to achieve a critical mass of installations.

4. mattm4444

mattm4444 Thread Starter

The wired connection does not have any problems, and thanks for replying guys! Heres the information requested.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : owner-f5a27f63a
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN 2100
    ni PCI Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-04-23-6E-C7-5C
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.4
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, May 27, 2007 1:15:09 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, May 28, 2007 1:15:09 PM

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

In addition to considering the interference issues invalidusername raised another potential problem is having two wireless utilities running. If you have Windows XP what is the Service Pack level and are you using Intel's utility or XP's Wireless Zero Configuration? And are you sure the other one is not running?

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Since the wired connection doesn't have any problem, that eliminates the ISP as a cause of the issue. See the other posts for possibilities for your wireless woes, I don't have anything to add until you chase some of those suggestions down. :)

7. mattm4444

mattm4444 Thread Starter

TerryNet solved it for the moment it seems. Disabling the Wireless zero config has stopped the frequent hang ups, thanks!

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Glad you found it so quickly. You can mark this 'solved' using the Thread Tools at the upper right.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/577650