Solved: Adding Network Printer in Vista

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jfriedlund

I'm new to Vista and am having trouble adding my network printer to a Toshiba laptop I recently purchased that runs Vista Home Basic. My old laptop was on Windows XP as the desktop that is "home" for the printer. I've checked to make sure the Vista laptop is in the same workgroup but no matter what I do I'm unable to "see" the printer on the network map. Any suggestions?

etaf

Wayne
if you have shared the PC and given it a name - lets assume its called SharedPrinter
also look in
control panel
system
computer name

and see what the pc is called - lets assume its called DesktopPC

then on the new laptop
add printer
netwrok printer
and type in

\\DesktopPC\SharedPrinter

thats how i connected one of my printers to vista just last sunday

jfriedlund

I finally got it to work, not sure exactly, but I disabled the Windows Firewall on both computers and downloaded an updated driver for Vista. After downloading the driver it recognized the printer and prints fine so I guess it was just a driver problem. Thanks for your help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online