1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Adding ram; can add 1Gb stick if using 2x512 sticks?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RobLyon, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RobLyon

RobLyon Thread Starter

I have 1Gb of ram in the form of 2 sticks of 512Mb.

I'd like to add another gig, was wondering if I can add a 1Gb stick or do I need to go with 2x512.

I have full spec info on my existing ram sticks in-hand, so could match timing and whatnot.

I read a review on NewEgg (exact same brand/specs as 512 sticks I'm already using) where purchaser said these were "double-sided" and using 4x512 slowed the speed from spec 400MHz to 333MHz. Post said "don't be a dummy like me, just get 2x1Gb instead."

I didn't really understand the part about "double-sided", but did get the "slower" part LOL.

Does this make sense to anyone? i.e. 4x512Mb would be slower than expected?

If the answer to my original question is No, you can't use a 1Gb stick with 2x512Mb sticks, would you then recommend discarding the 512s and just getting 2x1Gb as suggested? (would rather not due to financial constraints)

Thx smart people!

2. Mr. Newton

Mr. Newton

First Name:
    Terry
    yes you can add i gig if you are using windows xp.. i just added a 1 gig along side 256 ddr pc2100.no problem for me.

3. ryanjoachim

ryanjoachim

Short answer: yes

Long answer:
    There is a good chance that in the near future you will start to have issues with your computer as a result of using different sticks of ram together. It's always best to use the same brand and capacity ram.

4. RobLyon

RobLyon Thread Starter

OK thanks - better safe than sorry I just ordered 2 more sticks of 512Mb.

Oh and FYI for anyone looking for similar info, another smart person suggested the reason the speed dropped from 400MHz to 333MHz was that the new pair was operating at the slower speed, so the Bios just dropped the others to match.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice