Solved: additional hard drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gazbag

i have sat and read mulders guide and come to the decision that i want another hard drive for my videos. should i go for internal or external and what size. one other thing i am a bit confused by is firewire. if firewire is 400mbps and usb is 480mbps why is firewire better for linking a camera?many thanks gary

Either external or internal are fine, particularly for DV capturing. What is important are your drives speed and cache. Look to buy one that does 7200 rpm and has an 8mb cache. As far as firewire goes---400mps is fine for Dv---the other standard is 800mps but not necessary if you are just capturing standard DV.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I lean to externals, since they're portable and can be easily connected to other machines. :)

John, I do too---the only problems I have ever had with them is a failure of the controler card in some of the cases I have bought.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I've had issues with Firewire disks in the past on a number of systems, so I stick to USB 2.0 for my disks. I know that Firewire has lower processor overhead and faster transfers, but reliability trumps speed IMO. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online