Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: additional O S

782 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  gturbo65c 
#1 ·
My system is 1.3 with 612 ram two hard drives one 80gig which is drive c and the other 40gig which is drive F. I have xp home installed. I want to install windows 98 se. I know I can dual boot on the 80 gig hard drive C. But can I reformat drive F and install windows 98se? And will this give me xp on drive C? Thanks Gordon.

#4 ·
Maybe I did not clearly state my intentions. I have a 40 and a 80 gig hard drive the 80 is Drive C the 40 is Drive F. I can completely clean the 40 drive F. Nothing left on it. Reformat it. Clean. Now can I install 98se? or will xp on the C drive screw me up? Thanks Gordon.

#5 ·
You will have to format your 40G drive as FAT32. The problem is that you won't create a FAT32 partition larger than 32G (some people do, however, but the system on it is likely to be unstable; many tutorials say to beware of FAT32 drives bigger than 25G). So you will have to boot up from your Win98SE CD, run FDISK and create a Primary DOS partition on your 40G drive (use extreme care if you will have to delete partitions in FDISK). After the partition is created, FDISK will ask you to reboot. Boot from W98CD again and run format c: -- this will format the partition as FAT32 and you can install Windows 98 on it.

When you need to load XP, run FDISK in Windows 98 DOS prompt and set your XP partition as Active. In XP, this is done through Disk Management MMC Snap-in. (A better option would be to install a boot manager not to switch the active partition every time.)

#6 ·
I'm back, after reading the answers I received, I think it would be better if I would just reformat the 80 gig drive and partition it useing 98se and xp home, and useing the 40 gig drive for a backup of all my files. Evidently this would probably be the best way. So thanks everyone for your answers. Gordon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.