1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Address book failed to load

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Lockeyp, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lockeyp

Lockeyp Thread Starter

I'm getting this message...The Address book failed to load. Outlook Express is incorrectly configured,please re-install . How & why does this happen & how do I correct this.

answers on a post card to

Lockeyp.

2. digitalsatori

digitalsatori

Hi Lockeyp,

This can occur due to a file error or if the full fledged version of Outlook has been installed from the Microsoft Office CD. Basically, the Address Book has been converted to an invalid format.

Renaming the address book file should work and allow you to access Outlook Express again, then you can import the addresses from the old address book.

First, some preliminary work. You need to enable the ability to see file extensions. To do this, open up My Computer, then click on the Tools menu, select Folder Options, then click on the View tab. Uncheck the option for "Hide Extensions for Known File Types" and click OK.

Now, we need to find the address book file. Click on Start, then Find, then Files or Folders. In the search field, type *.wab and make sure you're looking for "All Files". When the search is completed, you should see at least one file. Rename that file from filename.wab to filename.old (where filename is the name of the address book file). Once the file(s) are renamed, you should be able to open Outlook Express again. Note the location of this file, typically C:\Documents and Settings\....; you'll need this to import your address book entries.

Once you are able to, open up My Computer again and
    click on the Tools menu, select Folder Options, then click on the View tab. Check the option for "Hide Extensions for Known File Types" to go back to how your files were shown before and click OK.

(If you don't have any old contacts in your address book, you can skip this step) - Once that is complete, you should be able to import the old address book by opening Outlook Express, then clicking on File, then Import, then Address Book. Browse to the location of where the .old filename is and import it.

Hope this helps!

--- Russ

3. Lockeyp

Lockeyp Thread Starter

Digitalsatori. Tried *.wab came back with no results for this file.

Lockeyp

4. digitalsatori

digitalsatori

Hi Lockeyp,

I suspect the search may not have looked in the hidden files, which is where Outlook Express stores the address book file by default. So, we can check in the default location to see if it is there.

You'll want to show the file name extensions (as outlined in my previous post) as well as show hidden files. So, to show hidden files Open "My Computer", then click Tools, then Folder Options. Click the View tab and click on the radio button for "Show hidden files and folders". Once that is done, open your local hard drive, ususally c:.

Open Document and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\

<username> will be the folder that matches your login name. This is usually your name, but could be "Owner" or "Administrator", depending on how your computer was set up.

Once you open the Address Book folder, you should see the .WAP file(s). Rename that file from filename.wab to filename.old (where filename is the name of the address book file) and restart Outlook Express. This should, hopefully, allow you to open Outlook Express again.

--- Russ

5. Lockeyp

Lockeyp Thread Starter

Did that ' Message reads (The Address Book failed to load. Outlook Express is incorrectly configoured , please re-install.)'

Lockeyp

6. digitalsatori

digitalsatori

I understand. In that case, you can try to give Outlook what it wants and reinstall, but I am not entirely sure how this will affect any email that is stored within the Outlook Express application. From what I gather, Outlook Express appeaers to store the mailbox data elsewhere, so this should not affect the mailbox storage.

http://email.about.com/od/outlookexpresstroubles/qt/et_reinstall_oe.htm

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Reopened per request.

8. Lockeyp

Lockeyp Thread Starter

Digitalsatori. I followed the instructions set down in the link but unfortunately it did not work. do you have any more suggestion.

Lockeyp

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920309

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice