1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Solved: Admin account missing

Discussion in 'General Security' started by UNWOUND, Sep 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. UNWOUND

UNWOUND Thread Starter

Good day all-- been a while since I've been here (thank goodness really) means not too many probs.. Here is mine. Bought used laptop. I can only sign on as "limited" user. No admin account there to switch too. As ya know,,, can't do all with "limited" account.. Help please .................. and is S. K. still around???

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

There is the "Administrator" built in account, that's always there. If it is not showing on the login screen, press CTRL-ALT-DEL twice and you will see a username password screen where you can type in the name "Administrator".

3. UNWOUND

UNWOUND Thread Starter

I know,,, I got two more computers in front of me that got um. lol. laptop has no "user account home" in the control panel "user accounts" . I can see the icon but is transparent. so not able to click on it to go to home to choose acount. I'm logged on as JDuke Limited user and that's all I can do. When i boot up,, i just have to click on my icon and whoomp there i am.

4. UNWOUND

UNWOUND Thread Starter

I tried the cntr alt del and got nuttin. Always says I'm logged on . I can log off but just have to click icon and back on again. I promise there is no admin account to go to nor can I create one. I can't even reinstall windows without that account can I???

5. UNWOUND

UNWOUND Thread Starter

could that account have been deleted somehow???

6. 1SillyBilly

1SillyBilly

Read this article to see if it helps. I have included a section below.

If you're using XP Home Edition and want to maintain an Administrator account, you might have a big problem. In that OS, the Administrator account is available only when the computer runs in Safe Mode; you can't create an Administrator account that's available in any typical mode of system operation. This limited availability hinders the Administrator account's effectiveness in managing the computer.

http://www.connectedhomemag.com/HomeOffice/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=24808

7. UNWOUND

UNWOUND Thread Starter

If you're running XP Professional Edition, you can easily gain access to the Administrator account if you give up XP's Fast User Switching capability and use the classic Win2K-style logon screen, which isn't available while Fast User Switching is activated. To access the classic logon screen, go to the User Accounts application in the Control Panel. From the "Pick a task" list, click "Change the way users log on or off." Clear the "Use the Welcome screen" check box (this action automatically disables Fast User Switching as well) and click the Apply Options button. Then, log on to the system using the classic logon screen, and you'll be able to enter any account name you want to. When you open the User Accounts applet in the Control Panel, you'll see that the Administrator account is now visible.

I tried to do this already and had no access or success. I think it's been butchered somewhere so I'm gonna reinstall xp home and be done. ( I think) If you can warn me or help me,,, I'd sure appreciate it. jd

8. UNWOUND

UNWOUND Thread Starter

Well, Problem wasn't solved exactly,,, but it went a way with reinstall. So alls well that ends well. Have a great day.-------------jd

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/749409

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice