1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Administrator password doesn't work

Discussion in 'Networking' started by chewie1012, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chewie1012

chewie1012 Thread Starter

I have built a Vista system and added it to my domain. I created two users
    Jerry and Administrator. I can log on to my domain with the Jerry user name but cannot with the administrator account. I get the error "the username or password is incorrect."
    I can log on directly to my sbs 2003 server with my administrator username and password. I can log to the computer locally with the admininistrator as the user name and password. Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Jerry
    PS I can log on to the domain with my Administrator account Jerry and password. I changed the Administrator password on the local machine to the same as the Domain/Administrator password.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Vista has a (normally hidden) Administrator account. Creating one yourself is playing with fire, and may be the source of your problem.

3. chewie1012

chewie1012 Thread Starter

Terrynet,

I figured out what I was doing wrong. I had the slash wrong. domainname\administrator not domain/administrator. Thank you for responding. I have logged on my server and pretty much worked as administrator for a couple of years. I understand you are supposed to do most of your work as a user etc. It is just me in my domain and I just use my server to help me share files across my home network and for learning. Thank you.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    OK, glad you got it. Please mark this 'Solved' using the Thread Tools at the upper right.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!