1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Administrator Priveleges

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by whead, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. whead

whead Thread Starter

Hi,

I have one account set up, but when I try to run a small number of programs, I get error messages stating: 'You'll need Administrator privileges in order to continue'

This is frustrating as I am logged on as the administrator!

Please can you suggest a cause/solution?

Thank you for your help,

Rob

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Are you able to run the programs at all?

3. whead

whead Thread Starter

No, not at all. When the error message comes up, I can only click 'OK' and the program doesn't initiate.

Thanks

Rob

4. Bryan84

Bryan84

on and off i do get this error too ..

sometimes to even delete a file or rename ...

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Start with complete scans for malware and viruses. Use more than 1.

6. whead

whead Thread Starter

OK, I ran Norton and AVG (free edition) system scans, neither detected anything out of the ordinary.

Thanks for your continued help,

Rob

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

You will need to use more than just those 2. AVG is an antivirus and won't pick up much malware. Norton is....well, Norton.

Try Spybot S&D, SuperAntiSpyware, Spyware Terminator, or others.

8. whead

whead Thread Starter

Hi,

I installed both Spybot S&D and Spyware Terminator. They removed 17 bits of adware etc but this didn't fix the original admin priveleges issue.

Since I have installed the above, my laptop now takes approx 10 mins from pressing the power button to me being able to use it to log on to the net etc (used to be about 2 mins)...

Thanks

Rob

9. golddust

golddust

Had this problem also. The thing you need to know about Vista is that it has two levels of Administrator privileges. You need to activate the higher level. Go to Control Panel>Look under Control Panel Home version (not Classic View)>Programs>Under Programs and Features click on USE OLDER PROGRAM WITH THIS VERSION OF WINDOWS (I know this doesn't sound like what you need but this where you turn on the command you need). This will bring up the PROGRAM COMPATIBILITY WIZARD. Click Next> place dot in IWANT TO LOCATE MANUALLY>click Next>find the program under Browse>Click Next>Place dot in DO NOT APPLY COMPATIBILITY MODE>click Next twice>Now you should see the RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR box. Place checkmark and click Next through to end of wizard.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Check the settings in the programs you installed and also your startups. You are probably doing scans on each boot.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!