Solved: Administrator Priveleges

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

whead

Hi,

I have one account set up, but when I try to run a small number of programs, I get error messages stating: 'You'll need Administrator privileges in order to continue'

This is frustrating as I am logged on as the administrator!

Please can you suggest a cause/solution?

Thank you for your help,

Rob

whead

No, not at all. When the error message comes up, I can only click 'OK' and the program doesn't initiate.

Thanks

Rob

on and off i do get this error too ..

sometimes to even delete a file or rename ...

whead

OK, I ran Norton and AVG (free edition) system scans, neither detected anything out of the ordinary.

Thanks for your continued help,

Rob

You will need to use more than just those 2. AVG is an antivirus and won't pick up much malware. Norton is....well, Norton.

Try Spybot S&D, SuperAntiSpyware, Spyware Terminator, or others.

whead

Hi,

I installed both Spybot S&D and Spyware Terminator. They removed 17 bits of adware etc but this didn't fix the original admin priveleges issue.

Since I have installed the above, my laptop now takes approx 10 mins from pressing the power button to me being able to use it to log on to the net etc (used to be about 2 mins)...

Thanks

Rob

Had this problem also. The thing you need to know about Vista is that it has two levels of Administrator privileges. You need to activate the higher level. Go to Control Panel>Look under Control Panel Home version (not Classic View)>Programs>Under Programs and Features click on USE OLDER PROGRAM WITH THIS VERSION OF WINDOWS (I know this doesn't sound like what you need but this where you turn on the command you need). This will bring up the PROGRAM COMPATIBILITY WIZARD. Click Next> place dot in IWANT TO LOCATE MANUALLY>click Next>find the program under Browse>Click Next>Place dot in DO NOT APPLY COMPATIBILITY MODE>click Next twice>Now you should see the RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR box. Place checkmark and click Next through to end of wizard.

whead said:
Hi,

I installed both Spybot S&D and Spyware Terminator. They removed 17 bits of adware etc but this didn't fix the original admin priveleges issue.

Since I have installed the above, my laptop now takes approx 10 mins from pressing the power button to me being able to use it to log on to the net etc (used to be about 2 mins)...

Thanks

Rob
Check the settings in the programs you installed and also your startups. You are probably doing scans on each boot.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online