Solved: Adobe files fail to open.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ewirman

I need help geting a resolution of a problem dealing with Adobe Reader and Acrobat... This does not affect my Adobe Elements application. I can not open any .PDF files with either program as noted above.

Anyone with a recommendation would be appreciated.

The attached error message(s) appear upon trying to open a .pdf file.

Thanks in advance, ewirman

Op Sys: Windows XP Professional SP2
RAM: 128 mb
HD Total Space: 40 gigs
Processor: 1.5 ghz

Attachments

cybertech

Retired Moderator
Hi ewirman, Welcome to TSG!!

What version of Reader are you using?

ewirman

I have .NET Framework installed and SP1. This problem seems to be a XP SP2 related issue, I think. If I do a rollback to December 04 all of my Adobe apps (Reader 6, Reader 7 and Acrobat 6) work fine. I just cannot afford to go back that far 'cause I loose other stuff. It must be a .dll or .cfg file; something like that. Comments?

ewirman

ewirman, could I ask how you go about creating the .gif file of your error message so as to attach it to the list?
Greg & Grimm

buck52

Banned
Howdy mgbgtgrimm

one way would be to use the print screen key when the error message show then paste into an image editor and save as a gif

buck

Triple6

Rob
You can download the MSVCR71.dll file here: http://www.utdallas.edu/~pervin/ and replace the file you have now. But don't delete the MSVCR71.DLL file but rather move it to another location.

Also consider re-downloading and re-installing Acrobat Reader.

ewirman

Triple6:
What does the .dll file above have to do with my problem?

ewirman

ewirman

T6 --- sorry if I seemed "curt". The .dll file was replaced as you suggested to no avail. Thanks anyway for the try.

ewirman

"I have known a great many troubles but most of them never happened." Twain

ewirman

While trying to use an Adobe file, "Windows Installer" came up and started to re-install the Easy Media Creator 7. In the (involuntary) process it replaced some files (perhaps the .dll mentioned above). The result was a clean load for Acrobat Reader 7.0 and ALL is well.

Thanks for your support.

ewirman

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts