1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Adobe Flash/Shockwave Player connection to browser issues

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by manofmarin, Jan 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. manofmarin

manofmarin Thread Starter

Windows XP Pro/IE8/Firefox/Google Chrome browsers

I have previously had Adobe Flash Player installed in past years and had not used it very often and uninstalled it. Now I find I have certain websites that require it for viewing content so I have recently installed Adobe Flash Player 16 along with Adobe Shockwave Player 12.1 which I believe is needed as a plug-in? (Both of these are the latest versions!)

I am using 3 browsers primarily because IE8 no longer displayes content on certain websites correctly, so I go to Firefox or Google Chrome on many occasions.(In actuality, both of these browsers load pages much slower than IE8 even though they still are supporting XP?)

My issue is that even with these new Adobe installations, all three browsers will not recognize the existance of Flash and Shockwave on my desktop and each browser asks me to dowload them to their individual browsers. It doesn't seem realistic that I should do this and override the existing installations so I have not tried this on any of the 3 browsers.

Why are the Adobe instillations on my XP not recognized and how can this issue be addressed and resolved?

Thank you for any assistenance!

manofmarin

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

3. manofmarin

Macboatmaster:

Thanks for including the image pages! I have changed both Adobe Flash Player AND Adobe Shockwave Player from disable to always allowed.

Awaiting further instructions,

Manofmarin

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I take it that this did not make a difference

5. manofmarin

Macboatmaster:

My browser preferences are in order of use IE8, Firefox, Chrome. In IE8- Shockwave is enabled-can't find Flash? In Firefox - Shockwave is enabled-can't find Flash? In Chrome both Flash and Shockwave are enabled but when trying to open flash, I get a message the server refused the connection!

In otherwords nothing has changed regarding my problem!! Suggestions?

manofmarin

6. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

The name of the Flash ActiveX in IE is Shockwave Flash Object, but it has nothing to do with the Shockwave Player, which you didn't need to install. It's pretty useless. In Firefox, it's Shockwave Flash. Chrome has its own integrated Flash Player. They all need to be enabled in your browsers.

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Flash for Windows 7 and older Internet Explorer
    Code:
    http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_16_active_x.exe
    Flash for all non-Internet Explorer browsers, except chrome which auto updates from within chrome
    Windows 7 and older
    Code:
     http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_16_plugin.exe
    After you have downloaded and installed both Flash items (no browsers can be open when you attempt to install flash), open FF, click on Tools, Addons then click on Plugins in the left pane. Check that you have Shockwave Flash 16.0.0.257 and also be sure Always activate is selected on the far right.

8. manofmarin

To all who have offered assistance:

I am thououghly confused by the conflicting advice. Let's try again and make it simple for me.

I would like to install Adobe Flash Player 16.0.0.257 for use on the Firefox browser only. I am utilizing Windows XP Pro as my OS. Can someone walk me through the process.

I don't need the program to operate on all 3 of the browsers I utilize. Just Firefox!

Thanks for the help,

manofmarin

9. Phantom010

10. manofmarin

Phantom010:

As always:"YOU DA MAN"!!!!!

Thanks to all who tried to help--that's what makes this site SPECIAL for the rest of us frustrated Computer users.

manofmarin

11. Phantom010

You're welcome! :)

12. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    There is a new out-of-cycle flash update today to address some exploits.
    You probably have 16.0.0.257installed.
    Update it now.

Also,
    even though you may not need it, you do have to make sure flash is up to date on IE and non-IE browsers, even if you never launch IE.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!