1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: adobe/foxit glitch

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Honey2aB, Mar 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

I was in my library page site a little while ago, downloading an ebook. The library site says to be able to read the ebooks I need to download adobe. I don't want to download adobe...I just got rid of it a few days ago. And. I totally love it by the way. What I want to know is..if the library says to download adobe does that mean I can't read documents thru foxit?? Would the library have some kind of set up where a person can ONLY USE abobe?? I dunno. Just wondering.

I saved the document to my desktop.which says URLLink. When I double click it, the foxit reader page shows up with a little window in the middle that says..."format error:not a pdf or corrupted"

Would someone be able to shed some light on this problem??

Thanx

2. TOGG

TOGG

I don't use many pdf documents but when I do, I have no problems using Foxit, even if the site I got them from 'recommends' Adobe.

I suspect it's more likely to be a financial tie in (Adobe maybe paying a small amount for every download generated by a site) rather than it being compulsory to use Adobe.

The error you are seeing may be because of a problem with the library site or your copy of Foxit. Can you go and d/l another pdf document from a different site?

3. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

I hardly use pdf documents myself, so it was a stretch to think of where I could find one at the spur of the moment. The only thing I thought of was the kids school site. "download and view pdf school events calender"

I just clicked on the line in the school newsletter to go to it..and...school events calender up on my screen in like 2 secs....in foxit.

Does the pdf document have to say specifically that it's an adobe pdf?? Becuz the school thing I did didn't say anything...just what I wrote above.

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

A pdf file is a pdf file if it's opened in Adobe or Foxit.

When you open the document while still in your Web browser, does it open properly with Foxit?

5. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

Yup. I was currently in IE (hotmail), opened new tab for school, the site says "site requires adobe acrobat/reader", clicked on a link, and there it was...in foxit, and did I mention earlier...IN 2 SECS.

I did access the school site earlier while I was in firefox as well....if that helps in any way...and nothing either.

6. Phantom010

Just make sure Foxit is set as your default pdf reader.

In my version, I can see it under the Help tab.

7. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

the site says I should have something called digital editions

apparantly, the site only uses adobe 6 & 7..no other edition will open the books

what is this??
    If you are using Firefox 2.x…

1. Launch Firefox.
    2. Go to Tools > Options.
    The 'Options' dialog box is displayed.
    3. Select the 'Privacy' option.
    The 'Privacy' options are displayed.
    4. Under the 'Private Data' heading, click the 'Clear Now…' button.
    The 'Clear Private Data' dialog box is displayed.
    5. Check option 'Cache' and ensure that the other checkboxes are not checked.
    6. Click 'Clear Private Data Now' to delete your temporary Internet files.
    7. Click 'OK' to close the 'Options' dialog box.
    8. Attempt to download again.

They don't have any other newer editions of firefox. I'm assuming the directions would still apply to #3 as well. Should I be doing this??

Foxit is my default pdf as well.

8. Phantom010

That's weird! :eek:

Why only 6 and 7? They are old versions! Are the people working at your library still alive?!? :D

Digital Editions

9. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

Yah, I know. Some of the ladies there are kind of old. Also, seeing as the library is run by city of **** no doubt it is behind. Everything that is run by the city is slow.

Does it sound as if I'm screwed over getting this ebook, or plod along?? or just download the stupid adobe, read the book, and lose the adobe??

10. Phantom010

11. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

Okay....I downloaded Digital Editions..only. And there is my book.

Thanx a lot for your input...now that I've driven you mad. For me anyway, all of this is a learning experience.

For you guys...."Holy cow, are they ever behind wherever Honey is from" :eek::D

Have a wonderful day...I'm going to brave the 60mph winds for a bit and do some snow shovelling. A few days ago it was spring. Grass was showing, the snow was disappearing like crazy...THEN a couple of days ago. SNOW!!! AGAIN!!! Now the snow is currently up to our knees, in places. aaaaahhhhh I hate winter/snow.

12. Phantom010

Great, have fun with your ebook! (y) :)

Happy shovelling! :p

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/812829