1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Adobe pdf - win98 and red x

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by flixx, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flixx

flixx Thread Starter

Anyone out there got a solution to this win98 & winme issue only, when you try to open a pdf across the web you get the red x, but you can still save the pdf then open adobe 6 and view the pdf that way. Whats interesting if you use winnt4 or win2k or winxp then pdf's work fine across the web. I sent a few emails to abobe tek support with the usual no results, i guess there salary's are so great that they don't need to respond to the end user anymore. Anyway thats another issue, so any good answer would suffice, thanks. Flixx.

2. 911

The Internet breaks things up into packets, and sends them over different routes to get reassembled on arrival. This usually works well, but I have seen a lot of complaints about problems opening a PDF from an online site. Nobody seems to know just what the problems are, but many advise down-loading the file to your computer, and opening it there. It works best that way for me.

3. flixx

flixx Thread Starter

To 911:
    Thanks for the reply, yes i already knew the following info, but what im curious about is what happened between adobe 5 and adobe 6 that now cause's a person to download the pdf in order to view it instead of across the web just like in win2k or win xp or winnt. There has to be a logical reason for this, of coarse i realize im talking windows here, so logic is probably out of the question. Here is what the real rub is, there are lot of users out there that don't have the user experience that you and i have and while using win98 or winme, they goto some commerical site that has pdf's and get the red x and just go away becuase they don't understand. It's just amazing to me that the tek support personnel at adobe are so careless to let this foolish mistake slipp thru the cracks, but when you already made your billions well i guess anything goes right. Anyway I appreciate your reply and thanks again.
    FYI:Yes there is a solution everyone go out and buy a new winxp unit from Dell or Gateway at HSN Shopping, Circuit City, correct. Flixx.

4. otoe1

otoe1

5. flixx

flixx Thread Starter

To Mr. Otoe1:
    Thanks for the web link, did two things upgraded from version 6.2 to 6.3
    and then under preference's clicked on the internet and unchecked the
    first choice to open in web browser. Just takes a extra minute but the
    adobe reader comes up with the document in it. From what i can tell
    it is not saving or downloading to my system either, which is great also.
    So many thanks for the web link and info, Flixx.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323985

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice