1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: ADSL Modem Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by stevelw, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevelw

stevelw Thread Starter

I am running a laptop with Windows XP PRofessional SP2 and an internal Intel Pro Wireless network card. The network is provided by a Belkin ADSL router/modem running 802.11g and serving a network of up to three machines at a time.

I have recently been forced to re-install the machine from scratch and, ever since, I am getting strange problems with the modem. When I first switch on, everything is fine and I can use the Internet normally for as long as I want. However, if I run an application that doesn't directly require an Internet connection (Word, Excel, Visual studio, any game etc) and subsequently try to access the Internet, the modem connection has gone and only a power cycle of the unit will get it back. The Router continues to work normally (share files, see other machines on the network, access the router etc).

Anyone got any idea what might be happening here? Before the re-installation the system was rock solid and I used to get modem problems only once every few months!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649354

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice