1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: advanced Sharing in networking

Discussion in 'Networking' started by silverado4, May 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. silverado4

silverado4 Thread Starter

I think I'm in the right area.
    I noticed when I open my network, I see an option "advanced sharing". I see many parms. that can be changed. Does this mean if something is set wrong in this area, others can see my computer, or is it just for my computer and network? I'm a little confused on what setting should be "checked" to protect the computer, or make my computer run better.
    I see such things as sharing printer, or folders, what does that actually mean? Just a concern. Thanks

2. silverado4

Sorry, I have Windows 7 64, hope that helps.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You mean open the Network and Sharing Center, right? If so ...

Note that when you go to the Advanced Sharing there are really two sets of options. One for Public and one for Home or Work. Almost never should we permit any sharing on a Public network. For a Home (or Work if applicable) what kind of sharing should be permitted depends on what your needs and desires are. Until/unless you want to share a file or printer with another computer on your local area network there is no reason to set any of those options.

4. silverado4

I"ll take a look at my public sharing, I'm assuming everything should be off. I have a desktop that is home only. What are the best settings "home" or "public", and what should be checked / unchecked. Thanks

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I use Public for connecting directly to a modem (dial up, cable, DSL, etc.) or any public place. I use Home for connecting to my own router and to the routers of family and friends.

6. silverado4

Good infor, I'll check my setting, thanks for all the info concerning this.
    Consider this matter closed.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!