1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Advent Roma 2001

Discussion in 'Networking' started by griflex, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. griflex

griflex Thread Starter

Hello all,

This is my first time on here so a big hello to everyone.

I have an Advent Roma 2001 laptop that will not connect to the internet via wirless.

I have removed the connection then tried to reconnect via the control panel but when asked for the password which I imput and I know is correct the connect to network box ( windows 7 ) pops up on screen states " windows unable to connect to the network ".

My netgear router is working fine as I have another laptop and 2 ipads connected wireless and are all working fine.

When I look at the task bar at the bottom of the screen the indicator bars next to the time and date show a yellow question mark and when I hover over this with my pointer a box appears with the wording " Not connected - Connections are available".

Is there anyone who could possibly know what may be the problem?

Regards

griflex

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Were you ever able to successfully connect to this network?

Disable encryption on the router and try to connect. If successful re-enable encryption and try to reconnect.

3. griflex

griflex Thread Starter

Hi,

In answer to your question,

Yes, I was able to connect wireless to the internet before this problem but about a week ago it just stopped connecting.

I have just disabled the encryption on the router but the laptop would still not connect.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

griflex

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Can you successfully connect by ethernet?

Make sure you have the latest wireless driver (from the laptop manufacturer's web site if an integrated adapter). If you already have the latest reinstall it anyhow in case the installed instance is corrupted.

What firewall or security suite is, or ever was, on the system?

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista and 7 and 8.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt. [For Windows 8: <Windows Logo> + x - Command Prompt(Admin)]

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

5. griflex

griflex Thread Starter

Hi,

I just checked and it will not connect with the ethernet cable in even when I restarted the laptop with the cable inserted.

I have also tried to connect with the windows 7 firewall all turned off but this also does not work.

It is my daughters laptop and I have just checjed that it had McAfee internet security installed but she now tells me that she did not renew it!!!!!!

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  7. griflex

griflex Thread Starter

Hi TerryNet,

I have uninstalled McAfee and glad to say that the laptop is now connecting via wireless ok now.

Thank you so much for your help and a very Happy New year to you.

Regards
    griflex

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

You can mark this solved using the [​IMG] button at the upper left of the page or just below the last post.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!