1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Advice for purchase of multifunction printer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ozegirl, Aug 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

Hi all,

Can anyone make suggestions for a good multifunction unit with the following criteria:

Print - Scan - Copy (fax not required)

Black & colour printing, scanning, copying

Automatic document feeder

Networking capability preferable.

Other specs for speed, resolution, etc not so important at this stage.

Most multifunction units I have found that have the ADF also have the Fax component, which is not required as I already have a separate fax.

One I have found is Canon MP750. Any reviews on that or any other suggestions welcome. Network capability would be nice but not essential.

Thanks in advance

2. winbob

winbob

Personally, I would recommend that you look for a unit that provides you with the best cost factor on ink supplies!!!

It's not hard to get decent printing these days, but ink supplies can really ruin your day!!

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

HP is my favorite. But, in no case get anything that says "Brother" on it.

4. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

I've pretty much settled on the Canon MP750. Anyone got any final comments good or bad?

Or anything else comparable to suggest?

5. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Canon makes a nice printer; but, I am an analytical buyer so I check out everything I can think of. Every time I have checked per-page printing costs, Canon came out with the highest.

There are ratings on all print cartridges--so many pages with 5% coverage. I would advise that you at least know the per-page costs comparison between printers. That way, even if you do decide on the Canon, at least it is an informed decision.

6. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

Thanks both Alex and "winbob" - I am aware of the big ink replacement cost trap that can occur with printer purchases. I'm a bit surprised at the last comment because I have looked at reviews on a few sites eg cnet and most people seemed to think the Canon was a lower cost to run than HP & others - perhaps it just depends on the model. This particular one has several nice features and sounds reliable.

I've had Lexmark, Epson and HP (in fact still using all 3). The Lexmark (1020)was a real bottom of the range first printer with our first computer. It still goes but not great quality & can only hold either black or colour cartridge at once. My youngest is going to have that for draft printing.

The Epson (640) was the one most of the family were using up until now and we have it on a print server. The ink clogs and it had other limitations, speed notably being one of them.

The HP (PSC 1215) was bought for my eldest (Uni student who has his computer in his room), to save him having to run up & down stairs to the Epson. This has the drawbacks of being extremely noisy and a real tendency for paper jams.

The new purchase is for my husband & myself to use as a replacement for the Epson - we both work from home - the 3 kids will get to keep the other 3 printers & might get to use our new one if they deserve it!

7. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

It's been over two years since I compared ink-jet printing costs so there could easily have been a shift in that time.

8. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Cannon is great for prices on ink, especially with the four ink packs instead of two.
    HP is great for plug and play, even on legacy OSs, but they have the shortest lifetimes and are prone to give strange errors and paper jams.
    Lexmark is an par with HP, minus the plug and play.

9. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I second that. (both statements)

10. GCDude

GCDude

Depending on the quantity of printing you are going to be doing, you may want to consider bottom end laser MFP's although for colour it might be pushing your budget somewhat. Just a suggestion, as laser printers toner costs are much lower compared to ink.

11. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Color Laser photo quality isn't as good as ink-jet; but, lately, I've seen some impressive color lasers at under $400 directly from the HP.com store.

12. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

Thanks again guys for the input. Most of the other reviews I've read from owners of the Canon MP 750 rate the black text printing equal to laser, so it would seem to be the best choice for the money.
    Looking to buy in the next month so still open to thoughts....

13. Martial33

Martial33

First Name:
    Phil
    I think this is a thread worth reviving...

Im MAD and Im NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANYMORE!

Im in the market for a new printer. I have a 2 year old Brother MFC 3100c. It does the job however the costs of running it are crazy. One small black vile is about 40.00 CDN then you need all the other colours too.

Normally, if ANY of hte colours run out, you have to refill them or hte machine will STOP PRINTING (even black) without warning.

There are of course the odd tricks you can try like wrapping the viles with black tape to trick the machine into thinking there is still some ink there (which there usually is) this gets you a few more miles in a pinch.

Then there are shops that now inject the viles for you at roughy half the cost HOWEVER, I tried to buy the ink and inject hem myself and found I not only made a big mess but also, although full, the machine still said, "black empty".

Evidently, if the ink you use is slightly too thick or too thin, either wont work and the machine stops again - this is niherantly built into Brother machines cause they know you are gonna try to transverse the system (the system of paying up - large)

I also have a very old OKIDATA OL400. its not a laser but it prints with toner and was very more economical to run however now it eats the pages, make lines up an down them etc, I was told it needs a new print head (its got to be 12-15 years old) so its not worth fixing.

So I made the trip to the business depot. They have lots of machines. One row are all MFCs (multi function copiers) that do fax, scan and print. Then you have your "Print only" machines.

I like the MFCs that can do it all. I looked at laser machines that use toner, but then got smart and asked which machine uses the least expensive toner cartridge. The least expensive cartridge was about 70.00 CDN (up to 150.00) AND some even require a new print head every 6 cartridges or so. There was one 35.00 cartridge for those that have older machines (which the store dident sell anymore).

I have come to the conclusion that for the few times I use colour, I would email the file to a print shop and have it done there but I do want an inexpensive, reliable machine for home use - it has to use toner as opposed to ink.

I searched these forums ebfore posting. this thread was started in 2003 so surely things have changed since then.

If you have any sugestions, Id be happy to hear from you (or read from you ~ you know ~)

Ironically, I also had a part break in my car that joins the window to the power motor. Its a small palstic part that is needed but do you think the dealers will see you that part? Oh no, you have to buy the entire "assembly" they call it including the motor, track, worm-screw and that small pastic part I need for a grand total of 325.00 (CDN) without labour!

They are making everything disposable - Out of principal, Im off to try to remedy the window situation myself rather that succum to the bullying of dealers that insist I repalce the entire "assembly" - heck why dont I just replace the entire door - or car for that matter? For the time being, I have the door pannel off - if it looks like good weather, I leave the window down. If it looks like rain, I push the window up by hand and tape it shut with masking tape. Evidently, its a common problem amongst Jeeps however there has been no recall - probably cause they cash in selling these "assemblies" Its no differnt than an upsell in any other retail market - "Do you want fries with that?" "Will that be all?" or what about "2 for one deal" or "buy as a package and save"

As consumers we have to stick together and send a message back to the companies that want to keep their hand in your pocket LONG after we leave the store!

Sorry for going on about it but I feel we should be aware of the after sale cash drain as educated consumers so, if you have any ideas about toner using machines, Id be greatfull for your input.

14. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

Actually the thread only started 22 Aug 2005 - you must have been looking at my join date! However I agree whole-heartedly with everything you say. still haven't bought the MFP yet but the Canon MP 750 is the choice - just waiting to see if any good deals come on as it's near Father's Day. (There's another marketing con for us all).

15. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

If you really want a laser that is the absolute cheapest per page and very reliable, go for a used HP5. In comparisons of ALL, I mean ALL printers ever sold, it is the cheapest per page.

To make it even cheaper, I refill my own cartridges for $20 each. So, my first cartridge will do about 9000 pages for $85, then I refill it at least once and sometimes twice for $20 per refill. Do the math.

That's less than a penny a page and that is if you don't do refills yourself. Factor in one refill per new cartridge and the cost drops to less than six-tents of a cent. If you refill twice, which is what I do, it drops to less than a half cent.

I have an Epson Stylus Photo 960; but, I print about ten pages a month on it, mostly photographs.

My old HP5 is about 7 years old and still going strong at about 1000 pages a month--and never even one repair. All I've ever bought for it is a duplexer (two sided printing in one pass) and toner, that's absolutely all (and paper, of course).

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/392435

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice