1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Advice for school

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by purge11, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. purge11

purge11 Thread Starter

Hello,

We are a small school with 80 students. We are looking into getting a server, be it windows or another platform, but I am wondering what benefits apart from the server being a file server can offer the school. We would like to look into the server allowing access to accounts from another location. Perhaps a good quality machine, be it dual core, with 250 gb drives with raid 10 and intel cpu, with backup exec I was told windows server 2008 standard would be great, but what things can it offer our school?

Plus what problems or things should we look out for when accquiring a server?

Thanks in advance.

2. Rockn

Rockn

You need to figure out what the school's needs are and go from there.

3. purge11

purge11 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I ve been thinking that also, but need a range of options. All I know is they want a file server for sharing and access from remote locations. If anyone can point out other options what a server can bring apart from the two I ve mentioned. Would be most kind thanks.

4. Rockn

Rockn

A file server on it's own will not get you remote access, there are other things involved with that along with more money and infrastructure. You will also need someone to administer all of this and keep things up and running. There is a whole pandoras box of stuff that pops up once you start adding more and more features that people want. Want and need are two different things. Have you ever looked at cloud computing and or something like Gmail & Google docs? If you are a school you may be able to get reduced pricing.

5. geek117

geek117

These services are free for EDU domains.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!