Solved: Advice Needed for Disabling On-board Sound and Adding a New Card

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MidniteCarnival

I can drop into CMOS and disable Audio Codecs for Realtek AC'97 but should I also remove the Realtek AC'97 driver from Device Manager? Are there any more drivers that I would have to remove?

Also, an independent sound card plugged into an on-board-designed mother board wouldn't require any other wiring attachments to the DVD CD drive or motherboard, would it? I could just plug the sound card into a PCI slot let 'er go?

MidniteCarnival

Cool. Thanks a lot for the reply. The Realtek is working...sorta...it only plays out the left channel.

But as it is working, I'd hate to jeopardize that in case the new card I'm going to try fails.

If I don't have to remove any drivers then it should be easy to restore if this other card is incompatible. =)

MidniteCarnival

The last time I did this, Win XP found the drivers but I also have the drivers saved to flash in case Win XP doesn't.

I had a big sound mess on my hands before I formatted and reinstalled Win XP - the Realtek wasn't giving me any sound at all. =D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online