1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Advice needed

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by Ju-ju Francisco, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ju-ju Francisco

Ju-ju Francisco Thread Starter

Hi, I have an 'i go 3000 packard bell laptop and really need a new one but not sure what to look for, any advice for online shopping for one?

The real question is, as I need to keep my current laptop going but;

my memeory is full and need extra storage for my music and photos to clear the memory problem on my laptop, what do I need exactly? I am thinking or a large capacity memory stick but not sure of exact terminology to use for online buying?

I also need a webcam for posting videos on utube for my website business, which one do you recommned?

I also dont have a hi-speed usb hub on my laptop can I buy one and the technical name for it?

I am in a remote area of Portugal that does not have phone lines but we have wireless zones for internet connectins, what is the best way to pick up the best signals?

Thanking you in anticipation,

Juju Francisco.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It sounds like you're low on hard drive space not memory. The hard drive is where things like music and pictures are stored. Memory is what's used to run programs. If you want to increase the amount of file storage available, you'd have to replace the hard drive. The question, though, is what will your computer support? If it's really old, the larger drives available today may not work.

The term "memory stick" can be interpreted two ways:
    1) Memory / RAM stick - used to increase the amount of memory available to run programs.
    2) Flash drive - a type of non-volatile flash-based memory used to store files. Usually connects via USB.

If your computer doesn't support USB 2.0, you'd have to buy an adapter. A "hub" will not upgrade the existing ports to the newer protocol.

If your computer is so old that the hard drive is small and it doesn't have USB 2.0 ports, I would suggest a new laptop. With the very low cost of new, fast systems with large hard drives, it just isn't worth sinking money into an old system.

How you get a wireless Internet connection depends entirely on the provider. If this is some type of cellular-based connection, you need that company's modem and a service plan of some type. If it's wireless networking, any new laptop will come with an adapter that works.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!