1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: advice on component list for high end PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jerms_a320, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jerms_a320

Jerms_a320 Thread Starter

Hi guys,

My dad was going to get me an Imac a while ago and I decided that rather than buying something that cant be upgraded i could make my one pc , with better components ...

So Ive got the cost of the Imac to build my pc . Ive never built a full pc before ( although Ive done the software before ) so I was wondering If I could get some advice on my components ( any other advice would be great as well)

so heres my components

i7 3770K

ASUS Maximus V GENE Intel

ASUS GTX670-DC2

G.Skill Ripjaws-X 16G Kit(8Gx2) DDR3 1600

WD 1Tb Black

Thermal take 80+ Bronze 800w

Coolermaster HAF X-942

Intel 520 Series 120GB SATA3 SSD

LG DVD

So all up the parts including os, keyboard + mouse and monitor is $2069 AUD
    I guess what Im trying to ask is if you had the same amount of money what kind of system would you get

thanks so much guys , any advice would be good

(also the pc will only be for gaming and school work , now video editing or anything )

Jeremy

2. Jerms_a320

also i plan to get the coolermaster hypo 212 cooler, any advice would be great

3. Jerms_a320

Have I put this in the wrong forum

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

Personally I prefer full ATX boards for gaming machines, components end up a little less cramped up and allow for better airflow. More my personal preference really as you have a

Personally I would go for a power supply by Corsair (not builder series), Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling or OCZ as my preference. Thermaltake aren't the best quality units out there and you really don't want to cut costs on the PSU, especially for a gaming machine.

5. Jerms_a320

yea , ive decided to get the full board maximus V formula, It would be a waste to put a compact motherboard in a full case

I was told to look out for an 80+ at least , would a coolermaster 750w GX 80+ bronze be alright ,

is the 80+ rating important , would a Corsair GS800 V2 ATX be alright

thanks so much for the advice

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just a few thoughts;
    1 Unless you are running multiple virtual machines, having 16gig of ram is overkill AND it slows down the post/boot process slightly. 8gig is more than enough.
    2 Asus is a fine board mfg however you might look at this gigabyte board as well. It is a little cheaper
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128558

I agree go with a seasonic, corsair, pcpower&cooling or FSP pw supply.

7. dai

dai

with corsair only hx.tx.ax models

thermaltake only toughpower

8. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

You did include the cost of Windows in your build correct?

9. Jerms_a320

Hi guys

thanks so much for the replies

changed psu to Corsair TX 850w ( the TX series is good , thanks dai )

I'll only get 8Gb of Ram 2 X 4Gb 1600 G-skill Sniper ( ive heard good reviews about this memory thanks heaps crjdriver , I might be dual booting but not using virtual machines )

Olimbs ill get windows 7 64bit pro for os

Thanks crjdriver I had a look at the board , it looks good and fairly cheaper but I think I'll stick to the rog board (It's a bias choice I know),

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084054

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice