1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Advise on ventilation system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nickolodeon, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nickolodeon

Nickolodeon Thread Starter

Hi.
    I have a fan on top of my cpu.
    My mobo comes with IGP (Radeon HD 4200). I think that cooling is required for the system block.
    I'm thinking on buying a rear fan with 1200 rpm. Will that suffice or north bridge cooler will also b needed?
    The problem is that my box cpu cooler is noisy, so adding additional coolers will decrease the overall temperature inside computer cover and therefore cpu itself (instead of changing box cooler).
    What are my options?

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Please post your system specs, To include Make and model System if Big Box, or same info for the following if custom or home built, Mother Board (including Revision number), Processor (Exact Model Number), Ram, Video Card, Hdd(s), Optical Drive(s), Power Supply Manufacturer Model, Wattage and Amperage on the +12V Rails, OS, and any other peripherals installed on the motherboard.

3. Nickolodeon

CPU: QuadCore AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 955, 3200 MHz (16 x 200)
    Motherboard: Biostar TA785G3 (2 PCI, 1 PCI-E x16, 2 DDR3 DIMM, Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN)
    DIMM2: GoodRAM GR1333D364L9/2G 2 GB DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM (8-8-8-22 @ 609 MHz) (7-7-7-20 @ 533 MHz) (6-6-6-17 @ 457 MHz)
    Disk Drive: SAMSUNG HD103SJ ATA Device
    Optical Drive1: _NEC DVD_RW ND-3540A ATA Device (DVD+R9:8x, DVD-R9:4x, DVD+RW:16x/8x, DVD-RW:16x/6x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:48x/32x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
    Optical Drive2: LITE-ON LTR-48246S ATA Device (48x/24x/48x CD-RW)

+12 V = 12.16 V

Power supply CHP(chieftac) with 500W capability and very quiet cooler.

==========================
    Like I said, I'm contemplating on purchasing system fan to put on the read of my computer. Will 1200rpm suffice? More then 1200rpm seem to have loudness characteristics above 20 dB which is undesirable. The idea is that it will pull out the air or may be I should pull air in, hoping it'll decrease overll temperature and therefore cpu will also be cooler and thus quieter. My system block has fan perforations at the rear only. By the way, my hdd works at 40C - is that fine (b/c I do have hdd IDE fan but am not putting it because of extra wire IDE-SATA)

4. Koot

Koot

You may want to consider a higher RPM fan with increased CFM to help cool your system (when needed) and use a fan control. I use NoiseMagic NMT-3 controls that mount right on the fans and a thermistor controls the fans' RPMs. When the temperature is low the fans' RPMs are low and quiet, but when more cooling is needed the controls' thermistors detect a higher temperature and automatically increases the fans' RPMs. Just like magic - works like a charm.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    The Fan RPM can equal increased noise of your system. You can go with a lower RPM but larger fan. Such as a 120mm fan if it will fit your case. Though case design and air flow are important as well. Making sure that your internal cabling is neat and as unobstructive so as to decrease turbulance as much as possible helps.

Case design can be a problem. Some cases have a very poor thermal design. Especially Slim line cases and a lot of the Big Box company cases such as the HP/Compaq or Dell Dimension cases.

6. Nickolodeon

My case is by eMachines (T4480). I like this casing because it's like a military equipment - hard metal (if not steel), seems robust and endurable.
    I will probably look toward larger fan, as advised above. Thanks for your replies.
    What are "ok" numbers for CFS, min, max, average?

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
  8. Nickolodeon

Do I want to pull air out of the case or suck it in?

9. catlady13

catlady13

Basically in through the front and out through the back.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

eMachines use very low quality parts. I would highly advise you to buy a quality case. This should take care of your cooling problems.

Unless you are hard core overclocking your system, that 955 should run in the mid 30s to mid 40s at most. Under 100% load up to maybe 55C. This should not make your hsf run at full speed unless you are doing something cpu intensive ie gaming, video encoding, etc.

Here is an example of a decent quality case; it has a 120mm rear exhaust fan and a 140mm top exhaust fan. These fans have multiple speeds and on low they are almost silent.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042

11. Nickolodeon

How is that? Do you mean casing is not heat conductive? I'll stick with eMachines for now, but will consider changing it later on.

I'm not overclocking my system yet, but want to try that with my IGP. Yes, games like Heroes III, Hitman: Blood money and similar do heat mobo (btwn 42 and 46C) and cpu (no more than 42C) considerably and cpu fan roars like a jet taken down by the antiaircraft gun. However, last thing I wanna do is changing native cooler on the cpu - I think overall system heat produced by other components raises cpu temp, so if sys fan won't help much I will also install nb fan. If that won't help either, then I'll consider replacing cpu fan with quiter one. Normally it runs at 36C (when it was cold, cpu ran at around 28-29C which caused a smile on my face )

What's your opinion on Biostar mobos?

How do I determine, if 18mm (or any other) fan will fit? If fans have a form of a square, I guess I could divide diameter by sqrt(2) and investigate the fan perforations environment for obsticles, measure perimeter and such, right?

How about lubricating cpu fan with machine oil? It's new cpu, 1 month old, and cooler just could not be worn out, but just in case.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Thermal conductivity has little to do with heat dissipation in a computer; it is a function of airflow.
    eMachines use things like bestec pw supplies ie VERY low end parts.

Biostar boards are fine for a budget build. For a high end system, you would want either gigabyte or asus board.

To find out if a given fan will fit, measure the fan. FWIW with a emachine case, I would doubt that anything over 80mm would fit.

You do not apply oil to a hsf. If it is making noise, it needs to be replaced. If it is just running at full speed, then you need to find out why it is overheating or perhaps you have the smartfan function disabled in the bios making the fan run at full rated speed all of the time.

I should add that is is possible to apply oil; just not a good practice.

13. Nickolodeon

Just to make a correction, the only thing left from eMachines is casing and CD-ROM. Everything else is new. I have Chieftech power supply (500W) with absolutely no niose whatsoever. Is is, in fact, failed power supply that intitated full upgrade of my PC.
    Could you support your doubt? Casing is not exactly spacious but not of a dwarfen size too.
    Will there be any sense in putting one sys fan at the rear, since I don't have openings anywhere else?
    I like to experiment, a lot, but not with the money)

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

This is exactly why I am telling you emachines [in your case the case] are very poor quality. It is no wonder why it runs warm. Just think about it for a min or two; you spent some cash on a cpu and now you do not want to buy a quality case to keep it cool????

A quality case is an investment. It should last you through numerous upgrades. My current antec case is on its fourth mb.

15. Nickolodeon

I see the situation now.
    Thanks for your replies.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!