1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Afraid to install Skype

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Mklangelo, May 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mklangelo

Mklangelo Banned Thread Starter

I did use it years ago and it is a handy program. I think it can be a rather insidious program that continues to run in the background even after you shut it down. Is there a way to install this beast and keep it at bay? Is it spyware/adware as I've heard?

Thanks in advance.

ps; I'm running Windows 7

2. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    I use Skype all the time and have no problems with it. Just be sure to select the proper settings so it does not start when you start your computer, this way it will not be running in the back ground. Be sure to look at all the info and deselect anything you don't want installed like toolbars and such.

Good luck,
    Capt

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Mklangelo:

I personally don't use Skype, but I have a close friend who does use it daily.

If you accept its default install options, it'll set itself to automatically load EVERY time you start or restart your computer.

As Ron already advised you, pay attention to how you install and set it up.

Unless you want it to automatically load, you can start it when you're ready to use it by double-clicking its desktop icon.

-------------------------------------------------------

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Like many other programs, you can't simply close the Window as it will remain running.

5. Mklangelo

Thanks for the help. I do remember having to shut down the processes even after exiting.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Actually you can exit Skype, you right click the icon in the Task Bar or System Tray and choose "Quit". To prevent it from starting with Windows simply go to Tools and then Options and uncheck that option. It doesn't auto start for me because I choose not to and it completely closed for me when I choose Quit.

FYI, the reason it wants to stay running is actually pretty simple and important; you can't get phone calls, Skype calls, or messages if its not running.

It's not spyware or adware.

7. donetao

donetao Banned

If you don't shut Skype down it will continue to run as others here have stated. It is a huge memory hog and so if you are short on RAM, you might want to shut it down when not using it.
    Those are my thoughts! Only Firefox uses more RAM than Skype.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Oddly Skype on on all my computers uses very little RAM.

9. donetao

donetao Banned

On my PC Firefox and Skype use as much RAM as all the rest combined!!

Attached Files:

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I'll have to recheck but 168MB isn't much in the overall system, not even 1% on a system with 2GB of RAM.

11. donetao

donetao Banned

OK! I never was very good with large numbers. I have 6GB of RAM!!:eek:
    Math was not my best subject. I did get a A+ in recess however!!

12. DSTM

DSTM

Hardly a memory hog as suggested.LOL

13. donetao

donetao Banned

:D:D I know! I already said I wasn't any good at math. See you on Paltalk(y)

14. Mklangelo

Firefox was definitely out of control. For god's sake, version 37? Get serious. They were changing things simply for the sake of changing them. The thing FF used to do well, it stopped doing well. It'll never be on one of my machines again. I had trouble with YouTube when they started using HTML 5, cookies, pages not loading at all. It's a real pig so I dumped it for chrome.

I'd be surprised if someone doesn't read this post and start troubleshooting and recommend I try and make it work. I don't want to make it work. I want it to work. lol I'm very happy with Chrome. :D

As for Skype Memory Usage, it's using 123,616 K & since I have 8G of RAM that's about 1.4% of the total. I can live with that.

PS; can anyone tell me why Chrome.exe*32 has 13 instances running in processes?

15. donetao

donetao Banned

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148170

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice