1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: After booting, I have no keyboard. :(

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by JAILBR3AK3R, Aug 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JAILBR3AK3R

JAILBR3AK3R Thread Starter

After I boot Lubuntu, it asks me for the language the first time I booted. Problem is, I can't even control the keyboard. It's like it shut off on me and doesn't like Linux lol. What can I do to fix this?

Off-topic: It seems like everytime I solve a problem, another one pops up. :/

2. JAILBR3AK3R

bump

3. JAILBR3AK3R

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

If you are using a USB keyboard, try a PS2 keyboard if you have one lying around.

5. JAILBR3AK3R

I have a ps2 keyboard and its the one ive been having the problem with. Same with USB.

6. JAILBR3AK3R

Sorry for this bump, but I need help desperately and no other forums are helping.

7. ekim68

ekim68 Mike

How are you typing this right now? Did you try to get into the BIOS setup to see if a USB keyboard is turned on?

8. saikee

saikee

Each Linux distro installer could have its own way to determine the hardware. When a mistake is made that piece of hardware could lose communication as in this case, a keyboard.

One way of solving the problem is try another distro that detects the keyboard correctly. The configuration file /etc/X11/xorg.conf is then printed out (generate it if necessary) or a record is made available.

One can then edit the failed Linux's /etc/X11/xorg.conf to have the same keyboard setting of the one that works and boot the system up. This normally works fine for me. Actually if the setting of Linux B works OK I would copy it into Linux A and not bothering just changing the beyboard part.

In general Linux uses generic drivers so a truly PS2 beyboard should always work.

9. JAILBR3AK3R

Alright thanks. I'll have to look into those things. I'll be back if I have anymore questions. BTW I'm using my dad's computer to go on this forum.

Again, thanks.

10. JAILBR3AK3R

Could one teach me how to find this wonderful file? XD

11. JAILBR3AK3R

I have been browsing the ISO file with WinRAR and I have found nothing. I have also read that it is not included by default. LOL. So how would I create this file and where?

12. saikee

saikee

If you have installed Lubuntu then the installed filing system has many directories. A file called xorg.conf is the standard configuration file for the X window and is usually kept in the folder /etc/X11. This is a text file allowing a user to configure the system. If you have installed Lubuntu you can boot up any Linux, mount the Lubuntu partition and edit that file.

However if you have not installed Lubuntu and the Live CD doesn't work for you then you should try another Linux distro. Lubuntu is just one of the many members of the Ubuntu family. Usually the quickest way to use Linux is when one doesn't work try another. It is a rare for a modern Linux not detecting the hardware correctly. The other alternative is to use a standard PS2 keyboard.

13. JAILBR3AK3R

Turns out it was my video card. Wierd. Bought a new one and now it works okay but i have another problem. See my other thread in this catagory

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1065234