1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: After cloning HDD "D" drive low space warning.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by lehatche, May 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lehatche

lehatche Thread Starter

After Cloning a HDD with Acronis I get a low disk space warning For "D" partition, and the partition shows up red? I thought I did a proportional clone. The original drive was a 320GB, and the new drive I used was 250GB. Also because there was a little data loss on original drive in the "C" drive I wanted to do a complete restore using recovery on new drive and that doesn't work either! Thanks for any help.

2. donetao

donetao Banned

Hi! I have never used Acronis. I use Macrium Reflect! It is my understanding; and I may very well be wrong, you need to have a HDD the same size or larger when cloning. I'm guessing that the "D" partition is the recovery and it's showing red!! I'm not sure what you mean by wanting to do a restore because of data loss on the original drive??? Why are you cloning the drive?? I don't know why you would think you can clone a 320GB drive on a 250GB drive and have a proportional clone.;)

3. lehatche

lehatche Thread Starter

There were uncorrectable check disk errors and I thought that it indicated the 6 yr. old HDD might be indicating problems. I decided to clone it to a new HDD hoping to do complete restore back to factory to correct any software problems caused by the old HDD's check disks errors. I have been successful in the past cloning to a smaller drive and never received this message before.

4. donetao

donetao Banned

OK Thanks for your reply. I have never cloned a larger HHD to a smaller HDD. If you have done it before, it should work again. Were you cloning a failing HHD when it worked before?? Also if your old HHD had bad sectors; the restore partition could be corrupted. If chkdsk tried to fix errors and found them uncorrectable, you are probably in deep trouble.
    Sorry I really don't know what to tell you. I doubt if a HHD the same size or larger would help, but might be worth a try! Also you might try running chkdsk another time and hope for better results.
    That's the best I can do!!

5. lehatche

lehatche Thread Starter

I am an idiot! After checking the old drive the recovery was over 11gb the cloned drive it was only 9gb. that is why recovery failed. I will have to get a larger drive or remove the recovery on this one. I am marking this as solved! Thanks for your attempt though.

6. datarecovery2015

datarecovery2015

Try to do a disk fragmentation which is present in your control panel.

Hard Drive Recovery

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!