1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] after handshake computer crashes

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by elmira, Jan 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. elmira

elmira Thread Starter

The system: 450mhz AMKK62, 128mb RAM, 6 gig hard drive.

I recently did a clean re-install of Windows 98SE. I also added a new Soundblaster 16pci sound card. I just installed my modem software and internet software and everything seemed normal, until I dialed in to log on to the internet. Right after the handshak my computer just died. The first thing I did was check the Device Manager and found a yellow sign with an exclamation point by wave device for voice modem. Under properties, device status, it says the drivers for this device are not installed (code 28). It prompts you to reinstall. In system information in components, problem devices, it says "Wave device for voice modem, media, this device has a problem: code=28 (oxic). The drivers for this device are note installed correctly. To install the driver for this device, click the driver tab, and then click update driver. By Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\enum\MODEMWAVE\DSI_D-F-V_V.90_D13635_#2\DSMODEM&DS10428&PCI&VEN_125&DEV_2898&SUBSYS_1030148D&REV_02&BUS_00&DEV_13&FUNC_00.
    Does any of the above explain why I crash after the handshake of trying to log on to the internet? I tried re-installing the soundblaster drivers and modem drivers but that didn't work. It reccommended that I not re-install my modem drivers because they were working properly. Does this seem to be a problem with the modem or with soundblaster? Can someone please help me? I really don't know where to go from here. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me!

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It sounds like you might have an IRQ conflict between Soundblaster and the modem. Have you tries moving SB to a different slot? (Don't put it next to the AGP slot) Or you could try disabling it in its Device Manager>Properties>Settings page for a test.

Check your IRQs in msinfo32

3. elmira

elmira Thread Starter

When I first installed Soundblaster I tried putting the card in each of the three available slots. The only slot it works in at all is the middle slot. If I tried the other two it was no sound. Now when you say go into the device manager, are we talking about checking on Sounblaster? If I do go into the device manager do I click on the area where it says device usage: disable in this hardware profile and then trying out the modem to see if i make a conneciton? Would moving the modem to the other unused slot be a quick and easy fix? If I do Check my IRQs in msinfo32 what should I be looking for and what should I do with that information? I know it's a lot of questions but I really do appreciate you taking the time to help me out. I'll be looking for your reply!

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You would be looking for a situation where the modem would be sharing the same IRQ with the sound card. And yes, the "disable in this hardware profile" is the troubleshooting option to use in the Device Manager.

Check and see if the modem is sharing an IRQ with anything before trying to switch slots. You can select, copy, paste the msinfo32 IRQ list here if you want.

5. elmira

elmira Thread Starter

I went into device manager and checked to disable the wave device for voice modem. I still couldn't log on. Here is the information from msinfo32 IRQ:
    0 System timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt controller
    3 Communications Port (COM2)
    4 Communications Port (COM1)
    5 Sound Blaster AudioPCI
    5 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    7 ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    9 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    10 Diamond Speedstar A90 for Windows 98
    10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    11 DSI D-F-V V.90 DI3635 #2
    11 DSI Modem Device Manager
    11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    14 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
    15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    15 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller

Is the the info you needed? I hope this helps and I'll be happy to check on anything else that could help us with this problem. Thanks in advance!

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I don't see any conflicts there; I would reenable what you disabled since it might be required.

Did you actually remove and reinstall the modem? Regardless of what Windows says I would do it. It definitely seems to be a problem with the modem.

Actually I'm not sure whether both of these belong:

11 DSI D-F-V V.90 DI3635 #2
    11 DSI Modem Device Manager

Where I've found DSI Modem Device Manager listed on other posted IRQs the first entry has not been present.

If you have mulitple modem related entries in the Device Manager, I would remove them all and reinstall what Windows redetects.

7. elmira

elmira Thread Starter

I did re-enable wave device for voice modem but that just put me back where I started, with the error on that device. I actually physically removed the modem to work on my first problem which was no sound on the computer. Once I got sound back I put the modem card back in and you know the rest of the story. I never did remove the old modem drivers. Do you think it's worth my while to remove all modem drivers, take out the modem, put it back in the slot it's in now, then re-install the modem drivers to see if that would help? And if that doesn't help should we go back to checking out IRQ problems? Should I try using that modem card in the third slot that is now empty? Should I be out modem shopping quite yet or do you think there's a fix for this problem? I'll try whatever you think, and thanks again in advance for your help!

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well something's there that doesn't belong, so a thorough R&R is in order.

We can try something first though. I'm not sure what you were seeing in the "forced hardware" page of msinfo32, but my interpretation is that there is this key in the registry which does not belong:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\enum\MODEMWAVE\DSI_D-F-V_V.90_D13635_#2\DSMODEM&DS10428&PCI&VEN_125&DEV_2898&SUBSYS_1030148D&REV_02&BUS_00&DEV_13&FUNC_00.

See if you can locate it. Run regedit and navigate to

HKEY_Local_Machine\enum\ModemWave\

Right click on this entry and delete it:

DSI_D-F-V_V.90_D13635_#2

reboot afterwards.

At worst you are back to removing and reinstalling the Modem; or you can always restart in MS-DOS mode and enter: scanreg /restore at the command prompt. You can also "Export", or save the key before deleting if you want.

9. elmira

elmira Thread Starter

In the forced hardware page on msinfo32 it says "there is no forced hardware on this computer." I ran regedit, HKEY-LOCAL-MACHINE\enum\Modemwave\ and right clicked on the entry DSI...#2 and deleted it. I rebooted only to get the add new hardware wizard to search for wave device for voice modem. Since I don't know where to get drivers for this wave device for voice modem I cancelled out of it and got to my desktop. I then went back in to regedit only to find the DSI...#2 was still in there! I actually have three devices listed under modemwave. They are:
    DSI_D-F-V_V.90_D13635, DSI_D-F-V_V.90_D13635_#2, AND MOTOROLA_SM56_PCI_SPEAKERPHONE_MODEM. Why are there three listings when I only have had just this one modem installed. And why didn't DSI_D-F-V_V.90_D13635_#2 delete when I right clicked, hit delete, and rebooted the computer? I also checked modem properties in the control panel and it says the following modems are set up on this computer: and it lists the same three that were under modemwave in regedit. Under diagnostics it detected all three modem on COM4 (COM 1 and COM 2 said no modem installed). Will any of this information help us solve this problem? Where do I go from here? Any help is surely appreciated!

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

As I understand you, this is the installed modem:

MOTOROLA_SM56_PCI_SPEAKERPHONE_MODEM

Do you have a driver disk for it? If not, this appears to be the proper driver page for it:

http://e-www.motorola.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=SM56PCI2DFV&nodeId=01M0yyK3NVV

The DSI modem is made by creative. If there is no physical card for it installed I don't know how it can continue to get redetected.

It might help to remove all three devices though the Control panel Modem page. Shutdown cold and physically remove the modem card or cards. Boot up and shut down a couple of times to ensure nothing is getting "detected" and then replace the Modem card you have drivers for and reinstall when detected.

It may even be a good idea to delete all entries under this key (see link) with the card physically removed, if any remain.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q250646

11. elmira

elmira Thread Starter

No, the installed modem is the Creative. Before doing anything else I wanted to establish which modem I have installed. On the card it says Modem Blaster D13635-1/5655. I has an FCC ID: GX5USA-27261-PT-E. It also has P/N: 245-03635-10. I do have the drivers for this modem on floppy disk. You said I should remove all three devices though the Control panel Modem page. Shutdown cold and physically remove the modem card or cards. Boot up and shut down a couple of times to ensure nothing is getting "detected" and then replace the Modem card you have drivers for and reinstall when detected. I can also go into add/remove programs and remove the MOTOROLA_SM56_PCI_SPEAKERPHONE_MODEM and the Creative modem in there too if you think that is what I should do. Should I keep the modem card out and delete and remove all traces of the old modem drivers or should I put the card in first and then remove everything. Then should I physically remove the card and do the rest as stated above? Does it sound like we're getting close? Any help is again appreciated. Thanks!

12. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Befroe you do all that, try one thing quickly? Go into Control Panel>Add Remove programs and see if there is anything listed there for your Modems. Remove if there is. Boot into Safe Mode and go to Device Manager. Remove all instances of the Modems there too. And if you see a Modem Enumerator on the list, that too. You said you had the reinstall disk? Good.

13. elmira

elmira Thread Starter

I can handle going into Control Panel>Add Remove programs and see if there is anything listed there for your Modems and removing if there is. But I'm not sure how to boot into safe mode. Once in safe mode I can handle deleting instances of modems in the device manager (right click on item and delete?). But where will I find Modem Enumerator if I have it? Yes, I do have the drivers on floppy disk. By the way, I'll put my modem card back in before attempting. Answer these questions and I'll feel more confident to move ahead. Thanks!

14. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

To boot into Safe Mode press Ctrl until the boot menu appears.
    Choose Safe Mode from the menu.

I am attaching a screenshot and then will post again to attach another. This is for my Soft Modem.

Attached Files:

15. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

And Device Manager. Also, Safe Mode uses the VGA dislpay. Things will look a lot different.

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66267

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice